Our meowing pets can’t seem to get enough of clawing on something, be it a tree trunk, the siding of your sofa or couch, or even that lovely Persian carpet of yours. Truly, scratching can be a real concern especially for those who don’t understand the reason why kitties love doing it. Thankfully, instead of punishing your feline pet for scratching on your furniture, you can check out any of these 10 best cat scratching towers. You’re essentially addressing their innate nature in a more constructive way while also providing them with the means to be happy.
Cat Scratching Towers Buying Guide
If you’re currently looking for the best scratching tower for your feline friend, we only ask you to keep on reading as we’ve prepared a comprehensive buying guide for you.
What is a Cat Tower?
Some folks call a cat tower a cat tree house, kitty condo, feline stand, or even a cat post. No matter how it is called they’re actually referring to the same thing. A cat tower is a type of feline furniture that is a lot similar to a bird cage stand except that there is no cage on the structure. Instead, it can be adorned with sleeping or resting quarters or perches, activity centers, and even play areas. You can think of a cat tower as a man-made structure that is designed to allow the felines in our lives to play, relax, exercise, and sleep on. It’s an all-in-one structure. Of course, the posts or some other elements of the tower can also serve as scratching surfaces to meet the need of cats to scratch.
Things to Consider When Buying a Scratching Tower
When buying a scratching tower for your kitty it is important to keep a couple of things in mind. These can include, but not necessarily limited to, the following.
- Scratching post only or a multi-activity tower?
The first order of business is to determine whether you need a scratching post only or a multi-activity tower for your pet. The thing is that if you’re only looking for something that your cat will be scratching on, then you’ll most likely do a lot better if you make your very own cat scratching post. On the other hand, if you wish your feline to have a lot a activities such as play, exercise, rest, and even sleep in one convenient location, then a scratching tower that comes with multiple levels and a multitude of accessories is a good investment.
- The right materials
Different products are made of different materials. Some are made of durable cardboard while others use wood or even fabric materials. If your kitty loves the outdoors, then wood is a great choice. If you want to be practical, cardboard is the answer. If you want something light yet durable, fabric is the go-to.
- Durability and sturdiness
Since cat towers are vertical structures – they are taller than their width – stability is of great importance. The taller the structure the wider should be its base. Unfortunately, this will also mean it will need sufficiently larger amount of space in your home. If this is the case, then it should come with a mechanism that will allow it to be secured either on your floor or on your wall. Either way, securing the cat tower should be relatively easy. If not, better look for something else.
Why Cats Need Scratching Towers
We have already mentioned that cats love scratching towers because it allows them to have an area that is dedicated to their playtime activities and exercise. It also gives them the opportunity to rest immediately after playing without the need to look for another place to slumber in.
Since these cat towers are also designed as cat scratching structures, these can help cats remove nail sheaths that have grown relatively old from their claws to help stimulate the growth of new layers. They also need scratching towers to exercise, stretch their backs, and tone their muscles as well. For many cats, scratching towers serve as a means to release their stress, sense of boredom, and even frustration. Lastly, like athletes and fitness buffs, scratching towers allow kitties to warm up first before engaging in a highly vigorous play activity.
Choosing the Right Materials
One of the most important considerations, as we have already pointed out earlier, is the choice of materials for the cat scratching tower. There are a variety of materials to choose from. We did mention about wood, cardboard, and fabric being the go-to in various situations. However, to give you an idea on the best possible material for your pet, you might want to keep in mind the following.
- Cats prefer materials that are sturdy but can also be shredded by their claws. If it cannot shred the material, it will be looking for something else. It simply is not very satisfying for a cat to scratching on something yet unable to make a dent on the surface. Call it their predatory instinct.
- Steer clear of products that use carpet as scratching surface so that they will not be enticed to scratch on your real floor carpet. Remember to provide your cat with a material that is very different from the things you have at home. Otherwise, if they get bored with their cat tower, they’d be focusing their attention on your other items that have the same texture.
- Always go for sisal fabric materials as these are heavy-duty. They’re tough yet allow some degree of shredding every time your cat scratches on them. For scratching posts, sisal rope is highly recommended. However, if there are platforms on the tower, you might want to stick with large panels of sisal fabrics instead.
- If you want to economize, go for corrugated cardboard as this allow for some shredding. It also makes noise with each scratch, further adding to the sensation of going for a prey.
- Consider a variety of scratching surfaces to stimulate your kitty. You can choose products that combine a variety of textured fabrics or ropes such as sisal, jute, faux fur, and the like.
Choosing the best cat scratching towers should not give you a headache. You can try any one of the 10 best cat scratching towers we’ve featured in this list or you can go search for your own by adhering to some of the tips we have shared with you in this guide.