As any dog owner will know, one of the most crucial aspects of owning a dog is making sure that they always have fresh water available to them. Just like humans, dogs need to stay hydrated, both at home, and when they’re out and about. Whilst keeping fresh water on hand at home is a breeze, ensuring the same can be said during long walks or trips to the dog park/beach is not as simple.
One product designed to combat this problem, and keep your dog hydrated no matter the situation, is the dog water bottle. These handy devices are specially designed for dog hydration on the go. Check out our comprehensive buying guide, and top 7 picks for the perfect water bottle for your beloved dog.
The 10 Top-Rated Dog Water Bottles
1 Highwave AutoDogMug Portable Dog Water Bottle
- 20 oz capacity
- BPA free
- Food safe
- Built-in travel bowl
- Velcro strap that is removable
Compact, practical, and stylish, the AutoDogMug from Highwave is a fantastic choice for an easy and simple way to keep your dog hydrated. The unique design is great for conserving water that your pet doesn’t want to drink. Just a quick one-handed squeeze will release water into the upper attached bowl-lid, and when you release the pressure, the water will simply return to the bottle. Alternatively, if the water becomes dirty, then you can pour it away, and prevent the contamination reaching the rest of the water.
The design is simple but attractive, with 3 colors available, and a handy removable Velcro strap that can be used to attach the bottle to rucksacks, or even belts for optimum convenience. The dog water bottle is BPA free and food safe, so you don’t need to worry about the safety of your dog. For a convenient water bottle, this is a prime product choice with an excellent 20 oz capacity.
2 Lesotc Pet Dog Water Bottle
- Two in one bowl-bottle technology for convenience
- Top buckle to prevent the reverse flow of water to contaminate
- sealed silicone gasket fitted inside the cover to prevent leakage
- non-toxic eco-friendly bowl
When walking your dog or traveling with it, you can never go wrong with keeping it well hydrated all day long, courtesy this specially constructed and highly efficient pet water bottle from Lesotc. The lightweight nature of Lesotc Pet Water Bottle provides a convenient and innovative way of delivering safe, portable water to your pet, especially when walking in the park or traveling. Its design is basically driven by high performance and so it is a specially constructed as a two-in-one dog travel water bottle and water bowl; making the folding cup double as a bowl. You simply need to press the water bottle with one hand and water will flow into the bowl.
To ensure that there is no cross-contamination of water in the bottle, the top buckle is there to prevent the backflow of water. All worries about your car or backpack getting wet due to leakage are over, courtesy the sealed silicone gasket fitted inside the cover. An inbuilt water pipe ensures that even if the bottle is pressed, water will not be wasted. The bowl is made from BPA free food grade silicone and so is safe and non-toxic and eco-friendly and recyclable. The water bottle is derived from high-density plastic material and so is very strong and durable. The parts are easy to dismantle and assemble making its use and maintenance very simple.
3 Gulpy Jr. Dog Water Bottle Dispenser
- 10 oz capacity
- Fits most water bottles
- Easy flip open design
- Included belt clip
- Compact design
The Gulpy Jr. Water Dispenser is one of the smallest dog water bottles to make our list, with a capacity of 10 oz. Whilst smaller than many of the other dog water bottles, its compact design makes it a wonderful choice for smaller breeds of dog or for easy carrying on short walks. The overall design is very minimal, with an easy to use function that turns the attached plastic flap on the lid into a durable and well-designed travel water bowl.
There are some fantastic features of the Gulpy Jr. Water Dispenser that make it a prime choice, from the included belt clip, to the ability to use the unique lid design with most standard types of water bottle. It is easy to store, lightweight, and comes in multiple colors. For a smaller dog water bottle that is more than capable of keeping small dogs hydrated whilst out and about, it is a winning choice.
4 Tuff Pupper Portable Dog Water Bottle
- Sleek design and simple operability
- 100% stainless steel bottle to ensure safety, strength, and durability
- Leaf-shaped bowl-bottle connection design to ensure convenience when not in use
- Parts easily assembled and dismantled
The PUPFLASK really cares about your pet’s safe drinking habits that is why they have come up with this advanced and more efficient method of supplying portable water to your pet whilst you are on the go. Your pet will derive maximum satisfaction from water whenever and wherever it needs to quench thirst. It is designed to provide a fresh, hygienic and reliable source of water and with its 24 oz holding capacity, the bottle offers just the right volume to take care of your pet’s needs of the day.
The bottle is made from 100% stainless steel material whilst the silicone cup is derived from durable strong and BPA free food grade FDA approved material. It is, therefore, absolutely safe and environmentally friendly. The reversible leaf-shaped bowl rests flatly over the bottle anytime it is not being used. As a result of its sleek design and simple operation, no water leaks out of the device and so no water will be wasted during or after use. This ensures that every bit of the hiking, traveling or walking adventure with your pet will be pleasurable.
5 M&MKPET Travel Water Bottle For Pets
- Easy to operate and simple to clean and maintain
- Single hand operation
- Can be switched for larger bottles with compatible neck diameter
- Anti-leak mechanism offered by silica gel seal ring
Travel anywhere and anytime with your hairy companion without having to worry about how and where it will get fresh safe water from, thanks to this innovative pet water bottles from M&MKPET. This bottle can be operated with one hand and provides a quick and convenient way of dispensing safe, healthy and quality water to your pet at all times especially for outings walking and hiking. It is manufactured from high-quality lead-free, safe and durable material. It is BPA and lead-free and is FDA approved.
Its interesting and exquisite design makes it easy to operate and simple to clean and maintain. It is easily assembled and straightforward to take apart for cleaning purposes. This product is anti-leak and will not allow water to pour out into your car or bag due to the silica gel seal ring at the neck. Its 12 oz capacity is just right for a trip out there but can be switched for larger bottles whose necks are compatible with that of this product. Its compact nature makes it easy to carry along on backpacks, in cars or simply when being held along.
6 TIOVERY Dog Water Bottle For Walking
- Higher capacity water bottle
- Made from 100% food grade silicone material
- tight-fitting seal on the bottle to ensure that the water does not leak
- Highly compatible neck
If you want to avoid the risks of your pet unnecessarily contracting infections through drinking of contaminated water, then the TIOVERY pet water bottles are here to take care of this need. It offers a complete shift from lake or stream water with the associated health risks. It is carefully crafted to solve the water needs of dogs, cats, rabbits, and hamsters. Its constituent material is derived from 100% food grade silicone and plastic, and therefore safe and non-toxic, whilst also being durable but biodegradable.
The top side of the device is easy to remove and simple to wash and its neck is compatible with most 30/38 mm water bottles of its kind. The tight-fitting seal on the bottle ensures that the water does not leak into your bag or car. This 20 oz bottle has enough water storage capacity to last your pet an entire trip. Simply turn over the fashion leaf bowl and open the cap. This will discharge the water quickly for the pet to sup.
7 Anpetbest Travel Water Bottle For Dogs
- 11 oz capacity
- Easy to disassemble
- Easy flip open design
- Attached fabric carrying loop
Similar in style and use as the Gulpy Jr, the Travel Water Bottle from ANPETBEST features a fantastic function where the lid forms a handy drinking bowl for your dog. With just a flip of the lid, the leak-proof bottle converts into an easy to use bowl that is suitable for dogs, cats, and other small animals. The 11 oz design is suitable for most days out with smaller dogs, or as a bottle to take on walks with larger dogs.
The lightweight design of the ANPETBEST Travel Water Bottle makes it ideal for traveling. It is very easy to clean and comes with a great fabric loop attached for carrying it around. The vibrant bright blue design, with added paw prints and bones, is fun and appealing, making it a truly standout travel water bottle. BPA-free and safe for use by dogs and small animals, it is a practical and simple to use water bottle for all manner of activities.
8 LumoLeaf Pet Water Dispenser
- Made from non-toxic material
- Strength and stability of the product guaranteed due to materials used for construction
- reversible leaf-shaped water dispensing mechanism for water safety
- Lightweight and so easy to carry along
The LumoLeaf pet water dispenser delivers safe and hygienic water to your pet whenever in just the right amounts. iTis a lightweight, reversible leaf-shaped water dispensing mechanism that allows your pet to get its water nourishment requirements in the safest and most hygienic way. It is ideal for pets accompanying the owner on travels and trips and helps to prevetn bacteria or other pathogenic organisms.
Its leaf vein design ensures it delivers water in the most efficient and flexible manner. It also ensures the strength and stability of the product during use. Made from 100 percent food-grade silicone, it is devoid of BPA and phthalates and therefore completely non-toxic and safe for the animal. A removable aluminum buckle is fitted onto the anterior to enable the owner to fasten the water bottle to a backpack or belt loop. Its expandable silicone leaf can fit onto most 30/38mm water bottlenecks and is leak proof as a result of its airtight seal. It is simple to operate.
9 H2O4K9 Stainless Steel Dog Water Bottle
- Dual-function lid
- Food-grade, leakproof water seal
- Human-grade, pet-safe materials
- Recyclable and reusable design
- 5-color, 2-size options
The H2O4K9 Stainless Steel Dog Water Bowl is an elegant-looking accessory to keep your pet hydrated on long walks. This dog drinking bottle comes with a durable stainless steel construction that will never rust. Best of all, its design will never impart any nasty flavors and odors to your dog’s drinking water. The brushed finish of the stainless steel also gives the H2O4K9 better grip.
The BPA-free lid of this pet water bottle doubles as a drinking bowl. One side of this puppy water bottle is higher than the other. It conforms to the natural shape of the dog’s muzzle, allowing your pet to drink with relative ease. The lid also comes with a watertight seal, preventing leaks. It also maintains the ideal temperature of the pet’s drink. The seal is made of food-grade material. On top of the lid is an O-shaped ring. It allows you to attach a carabiner to the H2O4K9 Dog Water Bowl for easy and more convenient carrying. The lid comes in 5 different colors, allowing you to match it to your dog’s other gear.
10 Lixit Corporation No Drip Dog Top-Fill Water Bottle
- 44 oz capacity
- No-drip design
- Ball tip
- Two-sided flat design for easy mounting
- Two clamp mounts
- Multiple colors
When it comes to ultimate hydration capabilities, few dog water bottles can compete with the Top Fill Dog Bottle from Lixit. One of the biggest things that sets this water bottle apart is the capacity of the bottle, an outstanding 44 oz. Almost double most other water bottles, the Top Fill Dog Bottle has a very versatile set of uses, with a unique water delivery system and highly practical no-drip design.
The unique design of the bottle, with two flat sides and mounting positions, means that it can be easily and effectively attached to most styles of dog crate, either on the inside or the outside. This gives you the ability to keep your dog hydrated whilst in a crate without putting a water bowl inside, something that can potentially be very messy.
With the ball tip nozzle, your dog can drink its fill easily without any worries over spillages or leakages, preserving water and keeping your dog crate clean and dry. While ideal for dog crate use, there is no reason why the Top Fill Dog Bottle can’t be used as an everyday dog water bottle, capable of keeping multiple dogs, or very large dogs, completely hydrated.
Take a look at our guide on the Best Dog Crate Water Bottles.
The Best Dog Water Bottle: Buying Guide & FAQs
Why Dog Water Bottles Are Handy
A hydrated dog is a happy and healthy dog. When you’re out and about with your dog, fresh water isn’t always easy to come by, and its very easy to forget that most dogs don’t want to wait until they get home to have a good drink. This is why having a dedicated water bottle for your dog is so important.
With a dedicated water bottle, you’ll remember to take water with you whenever you go out and make the drinking experience much easier for your four-legged friend. While some dogs will drink from almost anywhere, others prefer the convenience and ease of drinking from a bowl or water fountain. The attached systems that come with most dog water bottles make it very pleasant for your dog to drink.
It’s also handy to have a good quality water bottle for the assurance that your dog is consuming safe water. Many products come with devices to ensure the water is safe and are sometimes recyclable. This means that you waste less water and ensure that there are no contaminants, either in the water or on the bottle itself.
You may also like our articles on dog water fountains and dog bowls.
What Makes a Good Dog Water Bottle
There is plenty of variance amongst the top water bottles for dogs, which while great for product choice, can make it much harder to choose the right one for your pooch. When choosing a dog water bottle, there are five big things that you should keep in mind; capacity, portability, durability, safety, and design.
- Capacity: There is little point carrying around a heavy water bottle that is far too big for your dog, or one that is far too small. Getting the right capacity is key to making sure the bottle is going to fit your needs and your dogs. Multiple dogs will need a much larger capacity bottle, while small dogs will only need a little water. Bear in mind the duration the water bottle will be used for when selecting the right one for you.
- Portability: The best dog water bottles should be very portable, after all, you may be carrying them around or relying on them for hours at a time. A good portable water bottle should be leak-free, or close to, have a strap or attachment for easy carrying, and fit in most standard-sized cup holders.
- Durability: A poor-quality water bottle that will let you down after a few weeks or months is certainly not ideal. The bottle material and attachments should be strong and built to last, especially since they’ll be used by your dog on a regular basis. Always look for hard-wearing or flexible materials that can deal with the wear and tear of regular use.
- Safety: As your dog will be drinking from the bottle, it needs to be pet-safe. A good bottle should be made from approved materials that are safe for your dog to consume water from. Cleanliness is also a key point in safety, little nooks where germs can fester will not only make the bottle difficult to clean but potentially put your dog at risk.
- Design: The design plays a part in each of the key elements that make up a good water bottle, but also for the practicality of the bottle and how willing your dog is to drink from it. If the bowl or nozzle is the wrong size or shape, your dog may not enjoy drinking from it. Similarly, the water bottle should be easy for you to use. If you have multiple dogs that you need to keep hydrated, a bottle that gives you control over water release, or one where the water can be retracted, can be very beneficial.
Check out our review of Collapsible Dog Bowl.
How to Clean a Dog Water Bottle?
The cleaning regime of your dog water bottle will all depend on the type of water bottle it is, the additional attachments, materials, and the size of the water bottle. For most pet water bottles, there are three main parts that will need cleaning; the exterior, interior, and attachments.
- Water Bottle Exterior: The exterior is the easiest to clean. Normally just a mix of warm water and soap will do the trick when removing dirt, grime, or water stains.
- Water Bottle Interior: When cleaning the interior, it is important to make sure that you get to all the little nooks at the bottom of the bottle. Using a bottle brush can be of great help when reaching the very bottom and ensuring a deep clean. Soap and water will normally suffice, although a very small amount of disinfectant can be used as long as it is completely removed.
- Attachments: All attachments should be cleaned separately, and you need to make sure that you clean all the nooks. Depending on the type of attachment and the material, this could be very quick or a lot more intense. If the bottle has a tube, then it is essential to clean the grime that can build-up inside.
Importance of Keeping Your Dog Hydrated
A dehydrated dog can very quickly become an ill dog, something that no dog owner wants for their beloved pet. The risk of dehydration grows when your dog is outside and being active, such as on hikes, walks, or at the beach, especially when it’s hot outside. Dehydrated dogs may lose their appetites, get dry gums, lose the elasticity in their skin, have sunken eyes, or even suffer from depression.
If your dog doesn’t drink enough water, it also won’t get the nutrients it needs to stay healthy; it may have trouble digesting food, and it won’t be able to properly cool down – which can be incredibly dangerous. From problems with their joints to organ damage from sustained dehydration, there are countless vital reasons why your dog should have constant access to clean and fresh water, no matter where they are or what they’re doing.
- Water and Your Dog’s Health: Tips to Avoid Dehydration, Pet WebMD
- Jennifer Larsen, DVM, The Importance of Water for Dog Nutrition, PetMD
Frequently Asked Questions
Some dogs may not get it right at the beginning, however, with a little bit of coaxing and encouragement, one step at a time and with patience, you will quickly adjust to your new way of giving it water when on the go. Additionally, you may decide to pop in a bit of your pet’s favorite food into the water to make it want to drink from it.
Not at all. Just as we humans carry water bottles with us when outdoors to avoid dehydration, dogs also can forget to get well dehydrated and will, therefore, require this pet bottle, whether in the home or outside. This is vital to keep very well hydrated and also to avoid any kidney related disease.
Yes, you can, but it depends on the kind of crate you are talking about. It should be of the right length and width and also, such that your pet has enough space to operate so as not to knock things over. Just make sure it is placed right inside the crate. Also, you need to be cautious not to leave sharp tie edges inside the crate so as not to cause injury to the pet.