One of the most exhilarating experiences as a dog owner is the freedom of going out for a run or walk with your dog. With hands free dog leashes you can enjoy running with your dog without getting your hands busy holding on to a leash. However, every dog owner needs to consider the safety of their dogs first when it comes to going out for a run or walk.
We have spent hours reviewing the details of the best products out there to compile a list for busy dog owners. Here's the ultimate list of the best hands-free dog leashes you should be considering when heading outdoors.
The Top Rated Hands-Free Leashes
- Available in several beautiful colors
- Ideal for medium and large-size dogs
- Made of reflective thread quality material
- Adequate running room
The Tuff Mutt Hands-Free Leash For Running is very popular with dog owners and is one of the best hands free leashes on the market in terms of features and ease of use. An added bonus is that it is available in seven beautiful colors.
These hands free dog leashes come with an Easy Glide belt clip, which, unlike other hands free leashes, forces your leash to stay in a single position no matter what. Furthermore, this hands-free leash offers enough running room while your dog comfortably runs either next to you or in front of you. To add to that, the Tuff Mutt leash is easy to control and is ideal for medium to large-size dog breeds. It comes with a dual handle and waist belt that fits up to 42 inches of waist size.
- Allows dog to run in any position
- Strong enough for a large dog
- Good shock absorption on the handles
- No pouch for poop bags
- When waist band is tight there is not much room for the D ring
- Comes with security clips
- Designed for medium and large-size dogs
- Reflective harness
- Hundred percent money-back guarantee
Next up on our list is SparklyPets Hands-Free Leash. This dog running leash, is designed for medium and large-size dogs. However, this waist leash also comes with a professional harness with reflective stitches that you can use to train your dog as well as jogging or running. It is available in six different attractive colors.
The leash has security clips in the form of two stainless steel clasps that helps to secure your dog and prevent them from running loose. To add to it all, SparklyPets if offering a hundred percent money-back back guarantee. You may also like our guide on dog harnesses for running.
- Easy to use
- Sturdy materials and construction
- Versatile – can also be used as a regular leash
- Handle is not ergonomic
- Shock absorbing bungee cord can break if large dog lunges
- Waist pack included for storing poop bags
- Shock absorbing bungee lead for comfort
- Heavy duty leash clips
- Suitable for medium and large breeds
The LANNEY Hands Free Dog Leash is a well-made and strong combined leash and waist pack giving you everything you need for running with your dog in one great product. The anti-tear nylon, cross stitching and heavy duty clasps and buckles make it durable enough to stand up to the most boistrous dog.
There are plenty of features to ensure that both you and your dog are safe and comfortable including a shock absorbing bungee design, two neoprene padded handles and 360 degree rotating metal clasps. The waist band is fully adjustable so that all the family can use it.
- Leash can be completely detached
- Waist pouch has a divider
- Sturdy design and materials
- Waist belt may be too large for slim owners
- Rings are not quite big enough if using for multiple dogs
- Easy to fix under five minutes
- Internal shock-absorbing system
- Quick-release patented designed
- Made for medium to large dogs
Walky Dog Plus Hands-Free Dog Bicycle Exerciser Leash, is our premium pick. Walky Dog Plus Hands-Free Dog Bicycle Exerciser Leash is exactly what its name suggests – a dog bike leash. It allows you to walk your dog with safety while you ride next to it on your bicycle.
The leash connects your dog’s harness to the bicycle at a very safe distance and can pull up to 550 pounds of dog weight. Furthermore, it comes with a patented design that includes a shock absorber for any sudden jerk from your dog. The leash of made of durable high carbon stainless steel material that is compatible with any kind of bicycle design. Plus, it is very easy to fix and can be done in less than five minutes. It is designed ideally for medium to large dogs.
- Precision design
- Sturdy contstruction
- Very quick detachable system
- Not long enough for shorter dogs
- Only useful for dogs that are leash trained
- Flat out leash design
- Made of durable woven fabric
- Can also be worn as a hands-free leash
- Features a clip designed for a single hand attachment
The RUFFWEAR – Flat Out Leash comes with an in-built accessory loop to keep all your dog accessories. Plus, it also features a clip designed for a one-handed attachment as well as a side-release buckle that is very easy to use. This flat out leash has a strong connection through a Talon Clip that securely connects you to your furry friend. It also features a simple handle that is padded to provide a comfortable and yet, secure grip.
It is a standard leash but the size can also be readjusted to wear around the waist as a hands-free leash. The leash is made of durable woven fabric and can be used for any size of dog. Plus, it is available in several attractive colors.
- Lots of attractive designs to choose from
- Strong and durable
- Comfortable for dog and owner
- More expensive than some other leads
- Leash is stiff which makes using it as a belt more difficult
- Available in different colors to choose from
- Different sizes to choose from
- Stretchable elastic leash
- Made of waterproof material with reflective threads
The Mighty Paws Double Dog Leash is available in five different colors and sizes. The leash is made from waterproof material and also features a reflective thread to offer better visibility at night. It has been designed to be elastic to help ensure that it is able to absorb the shocks of sudden jerks from excited dogs. Also, it allows you to maintain your natural posture when running without needing to bend forward.
To add to that, this leash is recommended by physical therapists as it poses no risk at all to your spine for as long as you use it. The sizes of the bungee range from 36 inches to 48 inches.
- A second handle for extra control
- Size and color options
- Plastic quick-release buckle for safety
- You need the longer side for your dog to run in front of you
- Webbing is quite lightweight
- Flexible leash length is expandable from 39 to 53.5 inches
- Made of durable neoprene fabric
- Reflective stitches
- Available space for a water bottle and other accessories
FURRY BUDDY Hands-Free Dog Leash is the next to make it onto our list. It has a substanial waist pack in which you can fit poop bags and many other essentials. There is even a water bottle holder. Because its made of strong neoprene fabric you can be confident of its durability and the breathable padded mesh liner will keep you comfortable on your walk or run. There are additional reflective stripes for safety.
This hands free leash also features a buckle and a strap design that is a good fit for waist sizes from 28 inches to 48 inches. It comes with two heavy duty bungee leashes so unlike some other hands free leashes, you can use this for two dogs at the same time.
- Can be used for two dogs at the same time
- Made from rust-proof nickle
- Shock absorbing design
- Smaller dogs may not be able to pull out the bungee
- Can be difficult to tighten
- Dual handle leash
- Reflective stitching
- Four feet bungee leash
- Adjustable waist belt
The Riddick’s Hands-Free One And Two Dog Leashes is a premium dual handle dog leash that comes with a bungee leash that measures four feet. As its name suggests, the leash is available in two types – one for handling two dogs and the other for one dog.
It is made with durable nylon material and sturdy metal clips. Moreover, the material comes with reflective stitching and an adjustable waist belt that can be expanded enough to fit a 48 inches waist. The leash also features dual handles, which help to give you greater control over your dog’s movement. The bungee measures four inches and is designed to be elastic in order to help absorb the shock of any sudden jerks from your dog. The two compartments for your accessories is a useful design fearture.
- Can be used for one or two dogs
- Reflective stitching to keep you and your dog visible
- Strong metal clips
- Belt can loosen when in use
- Belt clasp can undo under pressure
- Available in two different designs
- Comes with reflective stitching
- Dual handle bungee leash
- 100% money-back guarantee
Pet Dreamland Hands-Free Dog Leash is available in two versions. The first type is designed for small dogs that weigh from 10 pounds to 35 pounds. The second type is designed for dogs that weigh 35 pounds to 150 pounds. It features an adjustable leash that ensures that there is no strain on your back as you walk or run your dog by helping you maintain a natural spinal posture.
There are also three flexible and strong bungee cords that help to offer you better control over your dog without breaking your stride. Plus, the leash has been fitted with reflective stitching to help improve night visibility and promote your safety. To add to that, the product is covered by a hundred percent money-back guarantee.
- Two dogs can weave around without getting tangled
- Owner remains stable even if dog lunges
- D rings allow you to use it with another leash
- Additional leads cannot be purchased for a third dog
- Large breeds can undo the buckle
- Durable and long lasting
- Two shock absorbing sections
- 2 inch heavy duty clip for added safety
- Comes with a removable zipper pouch
Last but not least is the iYoShop Hands Free Dog Leash with Zipper Pouch. This is a high quality hands-free leash that is durable and long lasting. It features two shock absorbing sections and is perfect for jogging, training or walking. There is reflective threading to make sure that you are visible at night and it comes with a 2 inch heavy duty clip for added safety.
The D ring attaches to a poop bag or clicker. It’s available in a wide range of lovely colors and comes with a removable zipper pouch that you can use for your phone or keys. In case you need some extra control during your walk, there are two handles that you can use to restrain your dog.
- Double shock absorbing sections
- Zipper pouch can be removed
- Reflective stitching for night time safety
- Lead may be too long for some owners
- Handle is quite low down the leash
Best Hands-Free Dog Leash Buying Guide
What to Look for in a Hands-Free Dog Leash
When picking out a hands-free leash, there are a few things to consider first.
- Material: Hands-free leashes are made from various materials. But you want to make sure that you pick out the best material that is durable and will last long. Nylon tends to be the most common material used. But pay attention to what kind of nylon is used as not all of them have the same quality.
- Visibility: Visibility plays such a crucial role in ensuring you and your dog’s safety when the two of you are out there, especially during poor visibility like at night. Thus, it is very important to pick out a dog leash that comes with reflective stitches, as this will improve your visibility to traffic.
- Leash length: The length of the leash is very important as it determines how much room or freedom you give your dog. The leashes are available in various lengths to choose from. It is best to opt for retractable bungee leashes as they help to eliminate the risk of shock from sudden jerks from your dog.
- Comfort: Of course, you need to feel comfortable with the leash belt wrapped around your waist. Pay attention to the available waist sizes before you make a purchase. Most of them are adjustable. Thus, look out for the limits.
- Other things that you should pay attention to include the cost of the leash and other accessories that they come with. You may also consider warranty offers.
Benefits of Running With Your Pooch
The benefits of running with your dog are numerous. And, they are all health-related as well as fun.
- Fun: let’s start with the fun part. As mentioned at the beginning of this article, running with your dog is one of the most exhilarating activities you can ever do with your pooch. It allows both of you to have fun, spend time together, and bond.
- Health: Needless to say, it is very healthy for both of you. For your dog, especially, it helps to stimulate its mind and keep it healthy. It keeps your dog from becoming bored, lazy, and overweight.
- Plus, it gives your dog the opportunity to meet new dogs and feast its eyes on new sights.
Just as the name suggests, hands-free leashes are designed to help you run with your dog without needing to hold on to the leash. Thereby giving your hands the freedom they need to run unhindered while keeping your dog close by you. A hands-free leash works very simply. It comes with a usually adjustable belt that goes around your waist. The waist belt is connected to a bungee leash, usually with the help of buckles or clips. The bungee leash is mostly retractable and comes with a handle or two to help control the freedom you give your dog. The leash attaches to your dog’s collar or harness.
The best hands-free leash length for you will depend on the size of dog you have, your control, and your dog’s style of running. If you prefer more freedom while running, it is best to opt for a longer leash, say, 80 inches long. However, this will also depend a lot on where you run. High traffic areas will mean that your dog needs to run close to you.
The simple answer is yes, you can. If you want to use a dog running leash for two dogs at the same time, then it is best to opt for the hands free leashes that are designed to be used to handle two dogs at the same time. From our review, you may have noticed that some of the brands come with options for running with two dogs at the same time.
Again, the simple answer is yes, you can. However, because most of the waist dog leashes are purposely meant for running, it is safer to use them for running. That said, there are some types of hands-free leashes that are meant specifically to be fixed on bicycles. You may recall that we reviewed one such type of leash. Because these types are designed for bicycle riding, you should opt for them instead.