Retractable dog leashes are very convenient tools for letting your pup explore its surroundings while retaining some control over its movements. While there is a lot of controversy regarding its use because of the many potential dangers, it poses not only to your puppy but also to you, other people, and other pets. With the correct mindset and understanding of what needs to be done to make walking dogs with retractable leashes safer for everyone, these gadgets can make for excellent tools to satisfy one of your pet’s innate needs. Also critical is your choice of the best extendable dog leash so you’ll be in a much better position to control your pet while addressing its need for freedom. These ten best retractable dog leashes can help you identify the most appropriate one for your mutt.
The 8 Top Rated Retractable Dog Leashes
- 16-foot walking leash made of tangle-free, heavy-duty nylon
- Single-button brake-and-lock with permanent stop mechanism
- Easy to operate leash retraction mechanism
- Durable, comfortable, and non-slip handle
- Reflective trims for improved safety in low visibility surroundings
- Maximum dog weight capacity: 110 lbs
- Made in Germany
If you love taking a walk early in the morning or perhaps late in the evening, you’ll find the Neon to be especially useful. This Flexi leash comes with a reflective cord complete with neon-colored components and stickers on the casing to increase its visibility in the dark or in areas with poor visibility. The Neon comes with a 16-foot nylon cord allowing ample freedom of movement for your pooch. However, compared to the TaoTronics, the Neon can only handle pooches that weigh no heavier than 44 pounds. Nevertheless, with its German engineering, you can always rely on the Neon’s high quality construction.
- 3-in-1 safety walking dog leash design
- 15-foot thick and adjustable leash made of heavy-duty nylon
- Single-button brake-and-lock mechanism with simplified retraction system
- Durable, ergonomic, comfortable, and non-slip handle
- Built-in LED flashlight and dog waste bag dispenser
- Maximum dog weight capacity: 50 lbs
- Lifetime warranty
It doesn’t have reflective components like the Neon. But the BC Retail retractable lead comes with a built-in LED light to help you illuminate your path in the dark. It also comes with a poop bag dispenser. Overall, you’d think the BC Retail is a new tactical weapon because of its uncanny design. Regardless, its heavy duty casing and strong cord allows it to handle pooches weighing up to 50 pounds. Its length is a tad shorter than the Neon, though, at 15 feet. It also comes with a newly-improved locking mechanism to help prevent leash jamming.
- 16.4-foot tangle-free walking leash constructed of heavy-duty nylon
- One-button brake-and-lock safety system
- Durable, ergonomic, comfortable, and non-slip premium quality TPE handle
- Casing made of non-toxic, environmentally friendly ABS plastic
- Maximum dog weight capacity: 66 lbs
Another best retractable dog lead especially among sports fans and nighttime adventurers is the URPOWER retractable lead. With an unpretentious design, the URPOWER can easily come off as a newly designed steel tape measure. The only difference is that it comes with a belt leash that is embedded with a reflective material, giving it high visibility in low light conditions. The URPOWER also comes with a snap hook that is plated in chrome, giving it amazing corrosion resistance. Like the other products in this list, it is built for one-handed operation with exceptional brake and lock mechanism, keeping your 66-pound mutt safe up to 16.4 feet. It doesn’t include a poop bag dispenser though.
- 26-foot tangle-free walking leash made of durable cord material
- Leash comes with reflective edges for improved visibility and safety
- Easy to operate single-button brake-and-lock and retraction system
- Non-slip, durable, comfortable, and ergonomic handle
- Durable and sturdy leash casing
Where others can only manage 16 feet of cordage for their long dog leads, this Flexi leash comes in at a whopping 26 feet and is available in 3 different widths of its tape. This gives the Flexi Giant exceptional usefulness if you want to give your mutt the kind of freedom that it needs but without you losing full control over its activities. Just like the Flexi Neon, the Giant also comes with a neon-colored, reflective belt which makes it a splendid gadget to use in nighttime walks or even jogging in low light conditions.
Its German engineering allows it to retract and extend without hiccups, ensuring smoother and more efficient operation. Its one-handed construction allows you to brake and lock with just a single button. Too bad it doesn’t come with a poop bag dispenser. A bit pricey, too.
- 10-foot tangle-free walking leash made of high-strength nylon
- Single-button brake-and-lock and retraction mechanism
- Durable, ergonomic, comfortable, and non-slip handle made of ABS plastic
- Comes with free e-books: puppy training guide and dog first aid
- Maximum dog weight capacity: 44 lbs
- Lifetime guarantee
The Pet Neat retractable lead bears an uncanny resemblance to the TaoTronics product in that it also comes with a brake and lock mechanism, a 16-foot cord, and a 110-pound weight limit making it suitable even for large dogs. It even comes with its own canine waste bag dispenser in a color that matches the ABS plastic casing. The only difference between the Pet Neat and the TaoTronics is that it comes with 4 eBooks to help newbie dog owners in the proper care and maintenance of their pets. Whether this is coincidence or not, you might want to pick this one up especially if you’re new to dog ownership as the e-books can be of great help.
- Suitable for small to large dogs
- Highly durable and made with high quality materials
- Belt feeder ensures smooth retrieval and extension
- 3% of all profits go to no-kill sanctuaries
- Available in grey or pink
This retractable leash is a great choice for a wide range of dogs, due to its high weight tolerance. An ideal choice for medium dogs who have a tendency to pull, the stainless-steel internal spring withstands daily use. This, along with the heavy duty clip and durable leash, makes this one of the best options in retractable dog leashes on the market, today.
The retrieval is smooth, with the belt feeder staying flat to avoid any tangles and making it easier to walk alongside your dog. Speaking of which, the leash itself manages to extend to a surprisingly large 16ft. Making this a great option for those who are still teaching their dogs the recall command.
- 16-foot tangle-free high-strength nylon ribbon walking leash
- Easy-to-use single-button brake-and-lock and retraction system
- Comfortable, durable, non-slip, and ergonomic handle
- Maximum dog weight capacity: 110 lbs
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Featuring a belt feeder that operates smoothly, preventing tangling, the Hertzko is a heavy duty retractable pet leash that promises to give you optimum control over your pet’s activities even if your pooch is about 16 feet away. As you may already know, the Hertzko is pretty much the same as the TaoTronics except for one minor thing – the Hertzko is several dollars cheaper than similar designs. It has a weight limit of 110 pounds making it ideal even for large dogs. Holding the Hertzko is also comfortable, thanks to its superior anti-slip grip design. It also features the same brake and lock system found in other designs.
- Non-slip handle ensures owners can remain confident in their grip
- A smooth retraction makes walking alongside your dog much easier
- Long leash can stretch up to 16ft
- Upgraded nylon leash for additional security
- Light enough for smaller dogs to extend comfortably
A great choice for those looking for a lightweight option, this dog leash is smooth and easy enough for even small dogs to use. So, if you’ve got a toy breed or a dog that’s generally a little slower or weaker, this is the best choice in retractable dog leash for them. It has a 16ft black nylon rope which is sturdy enough to hold medium size dogs, while also allowing for plenty of travelling room for your pup.
The one-handed operation, including brake and retraction, allows you to quickly and easily use this leash – even while jogging! Meanwhile, retraction is smooth and easy, with an improved spring and anti-winding rope to make recalls all the easier. Finally, it hosts a comfortable, ergonomic handle for additional security and comfort.
- Anti-slip handle will help users keep a good grip while walking
- Reflective leash ensures the safety of you and your dog at night
- Strong enough to hold large dogs up to 110lbs
- 30 days money back guarantee and 1-year warranty
A great choice for those with medium to large dogs, this leash can handle dogs up to 110lbs. Incredibly durable, the 16ft leash is made with high-strength nylon which ensures you can remain in control of your pup, even when they’re wandering. Meanwhile, the coil provides and quick and easy recall, should you need it.
As an added bonus, the leash rope itself is embedded with reflective tape, to provide additional safety for you and your dog when you’re out and about. At the same time, the ergonomic handle allows for comfortable control over your leash, while the one-handed operation makes adjusting your leash a breeze.
A Guide to Selecting the Best Retractable Dog Leash
A leash is a great tool for training dogs, especially in the earlier stages where they are still learning to listen and respond to your calls or commands. There are two types of leash: the conventional short leash and the longer extendable cord.
Although retractable dog leads have taken a lashing from animal experts, especially veterinarians and animal rights groups, many still consider them to be exceptionally useful in training mutts and providing them the level of freedom they deserve.
One of the major issues that people have about the use of such leads is the lack or insufficient amount of control the owner has over the dog. If you lengthen the cord to its maximum, you are essentially extending the distance between you and your pup. For your pet, this means freedom to do what it likes. But unfortunately, if it suddenly crosses a street or if a more vicious dog suddenly attacks it, the extra-long cord will make it quite difficult for you to control or even protect your pup.
Another issue is that it may snap with a sudden jerk on the cord. And because your mutt is more than 20 feet away from you, it would have already been in the next corner before you can even start running. The sudden jerk also risks the integrity of your pet’s spine. There have been incidents of mutts getting spinal injuries because of the sudden jerking motion on the leash. So there is the risk of injury to your mutt, and you also risk injuring yourself. If your mutt exerts a more forceful pull on its lead, you might be dragged to the ground leading to cuts, bruises, bumps, scrapes, and even fractures.
You are also teaching your dog to pull on the leash rather unwittingly. The point is that dogs learn that pulling and tugging on the Flexi cord can increase their space and freedom.
These are all valid concerns. However, the great news is that there are things you can do to help you dispel any safety concerns other people may have about these flexible leashes. Thus, choosing and purchasing only those with certain features that can help ease these fears or concerns is critical.
Benefits of Using a Retractable Leash
Any product can have its own set of pros and cons. While we have already shared with you some of the reasons experts say you should never use retractable leashes on dogs, you would be relieved to learn that there are also benefits to using a retractable leash. We’ve listed some of the more common below.
Allows Dogs to Be Dogs
Dogs in the wild are not limited in their exploration. There are no leashes to tie them down. While one can always argue that the canines in our homes are not wild, they will still need some degree of freedom to be themselves and the ‘dog’ they ought to be. Getting a retractable lead can help provide them with a certain sense of freedom to wander and explore. This is especially true if you have mutts that are mostly happy if they get to go on a sniffing adventure without you having to nudge or pull them now and then. Your mutt can somehow interpret the considerable distance between you and your pet as a sign of letting its true canine nature run free. And you know how this can help develop healthier dog psychology.
Part and parcel of an extensible lead are that you can easily vary its length. Shortening the cord to the length of a standard leash is easy if you are in an area with too many obstacles or perhaps a lot of people or pets. If you want your mutt to stay by your side in these circumstances, you can shorten the length of the cord and lock it in place. But once you are already in an open field with no obstacles or risks to you and your pet, you can lengthen the cord again. Technically, the responsibility for adjusting the length of the lead falls squarely on your shoulders. This way, you can ensure your pet’s safety and exploration needs.
Can Be Used for Recall Training
Teaching your puppy to come to you when you call its name is an important task for any serious pet owner. This increases the safety of puppies whenever they are outdoors. A well-trained mutt will immediately run to its owner when it is called. Like any other canine training, recall training can take a while to master. The trick is to allow your pup to move or wander progressively farther away from you. This is where a retractable leash can truly help because it eliminates the need for multiple leads.
For example, in the first stage of recall training, you will let your dog wander within 10 feet of your location. Once it learns to come to you the moment you call its name or let out a sound, then you can increase the distance to 15 feet, then 20 feet, and so on. If you don’t use an extendable lead, you must purchase 3 to 4 leashes of varying lengths. A retractable pet leash, especially one with an unusually long cord, will be instrumental in your canine recall training.
May Be More Useful for Persons with Disabilities
Individuals with physical limitations benefit greatly when they have assistance dogs on a retractable leash. While well-trained assistance dogs don’t necessarily need a leash for the simple fact that they are trained to obey their masters, there are still those that may require some form of control. For instance, if the person cannot stand up and would like to perform a task, he can command his pet to perform the task from a distance. Moreover, because of the longer cord of these types of leashes, the risk of the cord getting caught in the wheels of the wheelchair is technically lower than standard leads.
May Aid in Canine Elimination
Can you easily pass your poop if someone is standing right beside you? We can only guess that your answer is ‘no.’ While you may think they don’t need privacy when they need to potty, some dogs cannot pass efficiently with their masters beside them. Some canines would want some degree of privacy when they have to go. An extendable lead should help them go somewhere hidden, more private, to do their business. It may seem so absurd, but it helps.
What Length of Leash Do I Need for My Dog?
Given that the main difference between a standard and a retractable dog leash is in the maximum length of the cord, it is thus, important to identify the best possible length of leash suited for your dog.
Standard dog leashes typically range from 4 to 8 feet, although 6 feet is a popular option. You should choose this length if you require absolute control over your dogs, such as during behavior modification and obedience training. If you run or jog daily, it is also a good idea to have a leash that is shorter in length so you can control your mutt to run alongside you. More importantly, choose the shorter length of the leash if you are in high-traffic areas, locations with substantial hazards and obstacles, and relatively tight spaces.
A retractable leash is perfect if you require versatility in the amount of control you exert over your pet. These can be as short as 4 feet and fully extended up to 30 feet. It also comes with a locking mechanism that helps ensure the length of the cord stays at the level you want it to stay. So, if you require absolute control, such as when using a standard dog lead, you can adjust the nylon cord length to the shortest possible setting. On the other hand, if you want your dog to enjoy its freedom, allowing it to explore its surroundings, you can adjust the cord to its full length.
Tips When Walking with a Retractable Leash
Retractable or not, a leash is a great tool for taking your pup for a walk or exercise. However, because there are issues about the risk of the cord getting entangled or even the risk of strangulation on your pet, it is important to learn how to use a retractable leash properly. Here are some tips when walking your mutt using a retractable leash.
- Plan your walks: We have already mentioned that you should never use extendable leashes in areas with high traffic or where the leash can get entangled with obstacles. That is why it is imperative to plan your walk. Make a mental image of the location of hazards or obstacles so you can steer clear of them when you’re already in the area.
- Inspect your surroundings: Think of yourself as the pivot or the center of a large wheel. On the periphery of this wheel is your puppy. You will need to inspect and assess what is inside this ‘wheel’ and its immediate vicinity. This way, you can make adjustments to the length of the cord.
- Pick a highly visible leash: Because your pet will be farther away from you, other people in the area might see your puppy but not you. They might mistake it for a loose dog and report it to animal control. A leash with reflective material or is highly visible even from afar should help prevent this incident.
- Use only a length that you can handle: The shorter the length of the lead, the more control you have over your pup. Therefore, try to determine the length of cord that you are most comfortable with. If you’re confident that you can still control your pooch at maximum distance, then, by all means, do it.
- Don’t use a retractable leash on strong and large dogs: Large and powerful dogs should always be put on a standard leash. One mighty jerk from them, and they’re off if you will use a retractable version.
These ten best retractable dog leashes are excellent tools for walking and training your puppy. However, you must know how to use these to help prevent the issues associated with faulty usage. Knowing how to use it also optimizes the many benefits it can give you and your pet. You must also learn how to walk your pup on a retractable leash. Only by correctly using these types of leads can you realize the usefulness of such devices.