Ensuring the right nutrition for your pet dogs is crucial to guaranteeing their optimum health. Unlike their cousins in the wild, these domesticated canines are largely dependent on us to provide them with the right types and amounts of food. Equally important is the maintenance of the freshness of their food so that its nutrient quality is preserved. Storing dog food in appropriate containers also helps prevent the foodstuffs from going stale, making it more palatable to pooches every time they feed. Choosing an air-tight should help you lock in the flavors and freshness of canine kibbles. To get you started in the selection process, you may want to begin by taking a look at the 8 best dog food containers we have researched.
A Quick Overview of Our Favorites
|Editor's Picks||Product Name||Price||Rating|
|Best Overall||Vittles Vault Airtight Stackable Dog Food Container||Buy on Amazon||4.3|
|Runner Up||IRIS 3-Piece Airtight Pet Food Container||Buy on Amazon||4.7|
|Premium Pick||simplehuman Large Pet Food Storage Can||Buy on Amazon||4.8|
|Best with Wheels||IRIS Premium Airtight Pet Food Storage Container||Buy on Amazon||4.6|
|Budget Pick||Buddeez Dry Dog Food Container||Buy on Amazon||4.7|
|Best Design||Paw Prints Pet Food Storage Container||Buy on Amazon||4.3|
|Best Easy Access||Bergan Smart Storage||Buy on Amazon||4.3|
|Best Tins||Morezi Pet Food and Treats Containers Set||Buy on Amazon||4.5|
|Best Stackable||Dog Food Storage Container||Buy on Amazon||4.6|
The 9 Top Rated Dog Food Containers
- Multipurpose, stackable storage container
- Heavy-duty container and airtight spinning lid lock mechanism
- Lock-Down secure double gaskets
- Lid positioned at a 45-degree angle from body of container
- Ergonomic, molded-in, comfortable handles
- Maximum storage capacity: 40 lbs
- Made of premium-quality, BPA-free, BPS-free, food-grade materials
With a corner mouth that helps facilitate the removal of dry kibbles in 2 ways, the Vittles Vault Outback 40 is a dog food holder that’s ingeniously designed to be highly stackable. Because the mouth is positioned at an angle facing forward, you can easily stack one on top of another and still retain access to all of your pet’s various kibbles without having to remove the container above it. This variant of Vittles Vault is perfect for homes with multiple pets so each one can have its own container.
One feature that the Vittles Vault has that is not found in other systems is that it comes with a twist cap instead of the usual snap lock. Most dog owners find this mechanism to be more airtight than others. The only downside is that the container itself is not transparent or at least translucent. Nevertheless, it should not be a problem since the angle of the spout allows for easy visualization of contents.
- 2 plastic, airtight and stackable containers
- 33-quart holds 25 pounds, 12-quart holds 10 pounds
- 1 2-cup food scooper
- Snap-lock latches keep moisture out of food
- The base unit has wheels, easy to maneuver
- Durable, BPA-free construction
Simple yet highly convenient, the 3-Piece Airtight Food Container by IRIS is perfect for storing both large and small amounts of pet food, as it comes with a 33-quart container that can hold up to 25 pounds and a 12-quart container that holds up to 10 pounds. Both containers are airtight thanks to snap latches, keeping the moisture, humidity, and various pests out of your dog’s food. The smaller storage container perfectly stacks on the larger one, which is great for easy storing as the whole set doesn’t take up much space despite holding a lot of food. The base unit also has wheels so you don’t have to bother with hauling heavy containers – just roll the unit to wherever you need it. Finally, the set includes a handy 2-cup food scooper which, along with the containers, is BPA-free.
- Multipurpose, hygienic, and elegant pet food storage container
- Made with heavy-duty, premium-quality, brushed stainless steel
- BPA-free, removable inner bucket
- Ergonomic lock-tight handle
- Built-in rear wheels
- Maximum storage capacity: 32 lbs
- With free magnetic lid-mounted pet food scoop
If you’re not really a fan of plastic and would like something sturdier, more elegant, then siimplehuman’s metal dog food container is a great bet. Made of premium stainless steel with an elegant brushed finish, the simplehuman comes with its own unique scoop that can be mounted onto the container’s magnetic lid. Its stainless steel handle also serves to lock the lid tight so that moisture, pests, and dirt won’t be getting inside its 25-, 30-, or 40- litter compartment. Unlike the IRIS though, the simplehuman only comes with 2 rear wheels. However, this should be enough to move it anywhere around the house. It’s a bit pricey, too, costing you more than $100. At any rate, your only consolation is in its superbly durable and healthier design.
- Multipurpose airtight plastic food storage container
- Moisture-resistant snap-lock latch system
- Maximum storage capacity: 55 lbs
- With rolling caster wheels
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Heavy-duty, BPA-free construction
What’s the difference between the IRIS Premium and the regular IRIS canine food storage? Well, aside from the fact that the Premium version of IRIS is a bit more expensive than its regular counterpart, it also comes with a more durable construction that some would call more rigid. It is this structural rigidity that makes the IRIS Premium a great choice especially if you want a see-through type of container design. Its snap latch system also helps ensure a tighter seal around its rim so you can feel safe that your mutt’s kibbles stay drier longer. It also has a more elegant design which actually widens at the top for easier cleaning because of its tapered design. For best results, it’s recommended that your mutt’s dry kibbles be placed in their original packaging before being inserted into the IRIS Premium.
- Bag Gripper Lid mechanism for bag-in storage solution
- Dual-Pour Flip Top pouring system
- Maximum storage capacity: 22 lbs
- Durable, BPA-free construction
- Made with FDA-approved food contact-safe materials
- With secure lockable measuring cup
Call it a gigantic water pitcher, but the Buddeez is actually an ingenious way of pouring dry kibbles into your mutt’s food bowl. The Buddeez allows you to put a whole bag of your pooch’s favorite kibbles without having to remove it from its bag. During feeding, simply flip the lid, hold the Buddeez by its integrated handle at the side, and tip it over your dog’s bowl. Since you’re not really removing the pet food from its manufacturer’s packing, you are able to ensure longer-lasting freshness. This is perfect for those who are afraid of their pet’s food getting in contact with plastics, although Buddeez is guaranteed to be free from BPA. With its size and unique design, you’d think the Buddeez will cost you a fortune. Surprisingly, it will only cost you a little over $10!
- Adorable bone design
- Multipurpose storage container
- Airtight gasket-sealed lid
- Maximum storage capacity: 15 lbs
- With rolling caster wheels
- Flat-backed design
- Durable, BPA-free construction
- With secure lockable measuring cup
Looking for a really cute dog food container? How about the Paw Prints canine dog food container that comes with an interesting bone design? And if you’re not a fan of doggie bones you can always opt for its word-themed variant. The Paw Prints comes with an unusual, almost odd design since it closely resembles the waste basket that we have in the office. The only thing missing is the foot pedal that allows you to open its lid. Kidding aside, the Paw Prints is a great addition to a home that has a more chic atmosphere. It comes with a scoop that measures 1 cup and one which easily locks into place underneath the lid of the bin. It also has hidden casters to help provide for amore aesthetic design while allowing for movability. The lid comes with gaskets for optimum sealing.
- Made of BPA-free, durable plastic, stackable design
- The 50-pound model is ideal for multi-pet households
- Not airtight but good at keeping the food fresh
- Food can be accessed even when containers are stacked
- Available in 3 sizes
Made from BPA-free heavy-duty plastic, with a stackable design, the Bergan’s Smart Storage is a no-nonsense pet food container. It’s dent-proof and rust-resistant, so perfect for both indoor and outdoor use. There are three sizes available, and the 50-pound model comes with one of the largest top openings on the market or easy access. While not airtight, the storage container does a solid job at keeping the food fresh and safe as the top opening closes neatly. This also helps with the pet food smell as it stays right inside the container. As a bonus, the unit is compact and stylish, so easy to store wherever you find it convenient.
- Available in eight styles
- Hangable serving scoop included
- Additional storage for dog treats
- Made from metal, not plastic
- Durable long-lasting construction
The Morezi pet food containers are a delightful combination of style and substance. Not only does this fantastic set includes an additional smaller container for dog treats as well as a larger container for dog kibble, but it also comes with a handy scoop for serving. The scoop can also be hung on the side of the larger storage container when it’s not being used.
The tight-fitting lids help to keep your dog’s food fresh between meals – prolonging its shelf life when compared to an open bag. Furthermore, these dog treat and dog food convenient storage containers come in a variety of styles, with three styles and multiple colors to choose from. The only real downside to these containers is that only the design with the wooden lid offers an airtight seal.
- Includes a measuring cup for each container
- Made of food-grade BPA-free plastic
- Airtight container to keep food fresher
- Carrying handle for portability
- Each tub has four sealing clips
Lockcoo has gone out of its way to develop a stackable dog food container that seals in more ways than one to guarantee that any dog foods kept inside have the best chance of the ultimate freshness once removed from the original packaging. This is achieved through a silicone sealing ring on the inside of the airtight storage container, with four clips located around the outside of the lid to keep it held down.
These containers are capable of holding in both liquids and solids and are each accompanied with a measuring scoop so you can easily serve your pup immediately without the need for weighing scales. So if you’re a pet owner on the go, these are ideal for throwing into the back of the car before embarking on a journey. They can also be particularly helpful for storing water on the road, so your pup can have a good drink after long walks.
Best Dog Food Container: Buying Guide & FAQs
Buying the proper dog food container for your home can be difficult if you don’t know where to start. So here is some advice and a few tips on what to look for and how to go about picking your favorite storage container.
What to Look for in a Dog Food Storage Container
Dog food storage containers come in all shapes and sizes and can be made from a variety of materials ranging from food-grade plastic to stainless steel. There are a few things you may wish to consider which could influence your final decision, however:
What material do you want?
If you’re thinking of using the dishwasher to clean the container between uses, you may need to angle for stainless steel containers or dishwasher-safe wooden containers. We generally wouldn’t advise a plastic container if a dishwasher will be used.
Though if you’re happy to handwash your container, the BPA-free food-grade plastic is the way to go if you’re looking for the most affordable and environmentally friendly option. Furthermore, your choices for wooden containers broaden when you hand-wash your tubs, as not all wooden containers are treated to withstand the power of a dishwasher.
How much dog food will you be storing?
If you’re going to be storing a large amount of dog food then you will need to be absolutely sure that no pests will be able to get into it, as it will likely take longer for you to reach the bottom. Therefore you should look for an airtight design to prevent infestation. If you’ll only be storing small amounts that will be eaten quickly, you can purchase a simple classic slot-over lidded container.
How big does it need to be?
If you have a large breed dog, you might be purchasing large bags of food to cover their meals. In which case it’s highly likely you’ll need a tall storage container that can hold all of that food. These types of containers can be the size of trash cans and tend to need more space for storage. Whereas if you were to select a smaller container and go with the little-and-often way of thinking, then you can use a container made to fit easily in the pantry or even on a counter-top.
Tips On How To Store Dog Food Properly
Storing your dog’s food properly, be it wet dog food or dry dog food, is essential to the health and wellbeing of your pet. Keep in mind that if you leave food in a dirty container the spread of bacteria within that food can cause serious illness – much like with humans. So here are some quick tips of how to avoid your pet falling ill as the result of bad food storage:
- Keep it at a low temperature – Just picture it like keeping yogurt in the fridge. Low temperatures tend to make it more difficult for bad bacteria to grown and spread. So if you have a pantry or cooler area of the house, this would be the best place to leave your pup’s food.
- Keep it dry – Moist food doesn’t only invite the growth of bad bacteria, but it can also result in the growth of mold as moisture seeps into the food and creates the perfect damp environment for these types of growths to thrive.
- Line the box if possible – This will just making cleaning the container out a lot easier later down the line as you won’t have to worry so much about rancid dog food getting caught up in all of the little nooks and crannies.
- Consider the container material – You will get the best freshness from a metal container as it is not at all porous so it won’t stain or absorb the smell of dog food like so many wooden and plastic containers can. Which will work out a little bit more hygienic.
- Keep it out of reach – Some dogs can be awfully sneaky when it comes to getting hold of something they shouldn’t have. So when you’re trying to think where in your home might be the best spot for keeping their dog food, be sure to take into account whether or not your pup will try to tip the container over in your absence and have themselves a little feast. If you think this could be a problem them consider making space in an area a little further from the ground and out of reach of your canine companion.
- Little and often – If you can, try to stick with purchasing smaller amounts of dog food more frequently in order to reduce the risk of bacterial growth in larger batches. This will save your space when storing and will act as reassurance when it comes to keeping your dog’s meals fresh and healthy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. So long as they are made of food-grade plastic (ideally BPA-free), then it is a great idea to store your dog’s food in plastic containers. If the lip is secure and airtight it can keep the food much fresher than keeping it in the original packaging, as a plastic container can be properly resealed between uses.
A tight seal. Make sure you get a dog food storage container with a secure, airtight seal that can prevent pests as small as ants from entering the food if it is being stored in an area where this might be a problem. Airtight dog food storage solutions are extremely effective at keeping both wet food and dry food from being breached by bugs.
Not necessarily, but it is highly advised. Airtight lids will keep your dog’s food fresher than non-airtight lids. But it is entirely possible to use a non-airtight container if you are only storing small amounts of food at a time that will be eaten quickly. A multi-pet household would benefit better from a well-sealed container, as they would be more likely to need to store larger amounts of food for longer periods.
Yes, but it takes a while. All dry dog food has an expiration date which can be seen on the packaging. When left unopened it is possible for dry dog food to remain fresh for up to two years. However, once the food has been opened it should be consumed within a month. And if the food is kept in a dog food storage container then the container needs to be thoroughly washed between refills as the fats from the kibble can become rancid and cause sickness.