Kittens are adorable bundles of fluff and fun that simply love to play. And that precious playtime is vitally important for their development as it provides mental stimulation as well as keeping them fit and strong whilst developing their hunting and fine motor skills. This is why you need to make sure your kitty has the opportunity for plenty of playtimes.
Adding some different toys to their routine can really help to give your young kit the stimulation they need as well as help to burn off some of that youthful energy. And having a variety of toys will also ensure they don’t get bored. We've taken a look at some of the best kitten toys on the market that can help to keep your gorgeous kitty happy and entertained.
The 10 Top Kitten Toys to Keep Your Kitty Entertained
|Editor's Pick||Product Name||Price||Rating|
|Best Overall||Petstages Cheese Chase Catnip Interactive Cat Track Toy||Buy on Amazon||4.6|
|Best for Aerobics Lovers||Cat Dancer Products Rainbow Cat Charmer||Buy on Amazon||4.8|
|Best for High-Energy Cats||SPOT Ethical Wide Colorful Springs Cat Toy||Buy on Amazon||4.5|
|Best Multi-Piece Set||Youngever 24 Cat Toys||Buy on Amazon||4.6|
|Best Sensory Stimulation||Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit Toy For Cats||Buy on Amazon||4.0|
|Best for Anxious Cats||Petstages Purr Pillow Kitty Soothing Plush Cat Toy||Buy on Amazon||4.1|
|Best Interactive Toy||Zenes Cat Toys||Buy on Amazon||4.2|
|Best Catnip Toy||Yeowww! Catnip Toy||Buy on Amazon||4.7|
|Premium Pick||Prosper Pet Cat Tunnel||Buy on Amazon||4.7|
|Budget Pick||SmartyKat Skitter Critters Cat Toy Catnip Mice||Buy on Amazon||4.7|
1 Petstages Cheese Chase Catnip Interactive Cat Track Toy
- Three games in one track toy
- Caters to the natural hunting instinct
- Made from durable plastic
- Features a non-slip base
This three-in-one pet toy has something for all kittens, whether they like to solve ‘puzzles’ or prefer to hone their hunting skills with a more active way of playing. Offering your kit the chance to chase, pounce or track their ‘prey’, this is a well-built toy from Petstages that is ideal for helping to develop young bodies and minds and keep your cat endlessly entertained.
For the price, you get a durable interactive cat toy that features a rolling ball for your kit to chase, an inner ball to find and catch, and a catnip-stuffed soft mouse for batting fun. And as it encourages active play, the whole toy features a non-slip base, so everything stays in place, no matter how boisterous your kitty gets! The added bonus of this track toy is that while it works to entertain your young kitten, it also offers both physical and mental stimulation to support your precious pet’s healthy growth and development.
- Capable of entertaining more than one cat at a time
- Ball track designed to stop balls from getting lost
- Multiple elements help to hone motor skill development
- Lightweight design is possible to flip over
- Some cats can find it frustrating rather than entertaining
2 Cat Dancer Products Rainbow Cat Charmer
- Durable and cat-safe design
- Wand made from polycarbonate
- Colorfast and non-toxic dyed ribbon
- Helps to build aerobic health
This simple yet effective ribbon teaser can give hours of fun, for both your kitten and his special human. And the design of the Rainbow Cat Charmer is uncomplicated but well made, meaning it can stand up to some seriously tough kitten play. With a decent length to the polycarbonate pole and a long, funky colored ribbon, it is easy to use – simply wave, swirl and twist in front of your inquisitive kit and watch them delightedly leap around as they make chase.
Designed to mimic the fast movements of your cat’s prey if they were in the wild, this cat dancer toy not only builds your kitten’s fitness and mobility but also their reflexes and natural hunting instincts. And it is super safe for your furbaby too, as it is made from non-toxic material and dyes, which are colorfast so won’t ruin your carpet or soft furnishings. And as it is built to last, the Rainbow Cat Charmer will charm your kitty as they grow to adulthood too.
- The super-long design creates a large play space
- The soft texture is easy on the cat’s gums
- Capable of holding up to 13 kilograms
- Depends on whether the cat is interested in playing chase
- Not a good design for particularly destructive cats
3 Ethical Pet Thin Colorful Springs Cat Toy
- Made from molded plastic
- Extra-wide springs for greater movement
- Creates random bounces
- Available in a 10 spring pack
For such a simple idea, this spring toy collection from Pet Ethical is a genius idea, if your cat likes to get light and fast on its feet. And each spring in this good value 10 spring pack puts your kitten in charge of their awesome playtime. Made from cat-safe plastic, molded into springy spirals that leap and bounce at the touch of your kit’s paw, these high-energy interactive kitten toys will fast become your kitten’s playtime favorite.
Furthermore, the spirals are extra-large to boost each spring’s bouncing power, creating an unpredictable movement to keep your young cat on its toes. Ideal for indoor and outdoor use, they are also silent and can be used by your cat on his own, although playtime supervision is strongly recommended. One of the best kitten toys for the price.
- 10 pack is ideal for if one gets lost during playtime
- Simple responsive design great toy for active kittens
- Bright color makes each spring toy easy to spot
- A choking hazard for heavy chewers
- Can be quite noisy on hardwood flooring
4 Youngever 24 Cat Toys
- Great value 24 toy pack
- Includes cat tunnel and fluffy mice
- Ideal for kitten play and learning
- Always use under supervision
With an impressive 24 toys per pack, this is the ultimate playtime surprise for your cat, at an affordable price. While these may not be high-end, the build quality is good and there is something for every type of kitten. The pack includes a neat collapsible tunnel, perfect for your cat to play hide and seek as well as a host of teaser wands, cat dancers and ball-type toys.
You also get toys that have added sensory and sound abilities to totally capture your little kitten’s curious attention. While the toys in this kitten toy assortment are not the most durable, they should last a fair few play sessions as your kit learns and grows, and with so many pieces in each assortment pack, there’s plenty to go around. Just make sure your kit only plays with these kitty toys under your supervision, as there are small parts that could be swallowed.
- Large bundle of toys provides plenty of options
- Variety of textures are perfect for sensory development
- Fabric tube creates the perfect private space
- Some toys are not durable and will not withstand rough play
- Overall better suited to kittens as opposed to adult cats
5 Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit Toy For Cats
- 8-piece connected circuit toy
- Internal illuminating ball
- Moves in a range of speeds
- Encourages natural hunting instinct
Cleverly designed, this fun motion toy for kittens and cats will capture your pet’s attention, thanks to the moving ball that illuminates as it whizzes through the circuit tube. Made from eight connecting pieces to create the full circuit, the Super Roller is a sensory ride for your kitten as they swipe to keep up with the moving ball inside. We like how durable the design is, as it needs to take some serious paw swatting as your kit’s excitement picks up a pace.
Watch as they visually keep track of the ball, which moves at a range of speeds for added tension, then leap into life as the ball comes close by. The eight sections are also joined by openings so your kit can safely touch the ball as it rolls past. The illuminated swirling ball is eye-catching, and the ball’s motion makes this one of the best kitten toys when it comes to encouraging your kit to observe, crouch and pounce. Just keep in mind that assembly can be a little tricky due to slightly confusing instructions.
- Ideal for keeping intelligent cats engaged
- Illuminated ball means it can be used in the dark
- Perfectly designed for kittens to practice pouncing
- Can be quite noisy when being used
- Quite difficult to assemble due to unusual design
6 Petstages Purr Pillow Kitty Soothing Plush Cat Toy
- Soft cuddle toy to soothe
- Ideal for anxious or stressed cats
- Includes a touch-activated purr
- Can be machine washed
When your new kitten first comes home, it can be a stressful transition, and your little pet may show signs of anxiety as they try to settle in. This is where this super-cute cat pillow can work wonders in helping your kitten come out of its shell. Shaped like a cat, the fur is lovely and soft, giving your kitten a comforting pillow to snuggle up to and feel safe.
And it is also touch-activated, emitting a soft purr for around two minutes, every time this kitten toy is cuddled or squeezed. Available in a choice of bright and happy colors, the Petstages Cat Pillow is simply adorable and will help your kitten relax as well as give them something to snuggle into when your lap is not available! And for your kit’s human, it is practical too, as the whole toy (with the purring mechanism removed) can be popped into the washing machine when it is time for a clean.
- Soft material and purr soothes young anxious cats and kittens
- Available in three designs including a shag material
- Ideal to help newly adopted kittens adjust to a new home
- Some cats do not appreciate the noise it makes
- Delicate construction not suitable for destructive cats
7 Zenes Cat Toys
- Features three ‘flying’ butterflies
- Encourages your kit’s hunting instinct
- Battery operated – 3 x AA batteries
- Stable base with rubber feet
Up the cuteness quota of playtime with your cat or kitten with this gorgeous butterfly flutter toy from Zenes. With its stable wide plastic base, you get three pretty butterflies on stalks that flutter and circle enticingly to encourage your cat to follow the movement, ‘hunt’, and swat their ‘prey’. Powered by three AA batteries, it is operated by a simple on/off button and the movement of the butterflies is unpredictably skittish to give your kitten a fun workout as they play.
It is a little noisy when in full flying butterfly mode, but not enough to scare off your cat (unless they’re particularly skittish in which case either the noise or movement may prove a little but too much for them). We also like the fact that the base is nice and heavy so won’t move in response to your kitten’s bodyweight and comes complete with three rubber feet to stop it from sliding on smooth or wooden floors.
- Fluttering activity is highly engaging
- Highly flexible wires help with durability
- Only required 3x standard AA batteries
- Nervous cats may be spooked by the automated movement
- Not rechargeable – batteries need to be replaced
8 Yeowww! Catnip Toy
- Made from durable twill cotton
- Hand-stitched for strength
- Contains premium catnip
- No artificial dyes or fillers
For older kittens (six months plus) as well as adult cats, a little bit of catnip is a mellow-out treat, and the Yeowww! Banana is a fun way for your pet to chill out and play. Made from a soft yet durable cotton twill that is strong enough to cope with cat bites and scratches, the banana shape of this toy is perfect for your kitten to grasp and hold as well as use as one of their kitten teething toys.
The seams are securely stitched too, to keep the 100% organic catnip inside, so your cat gets all the benefits while safely playing with their toy. The catnip is a premium blend and contains no fillers or artificial products, so your catnip-loving kit is getting the best and there are only vegetable-based dyes in the fabric for a natural playtime toy for your young cat can hone their hunting skills on. Not all cats respond to catnip but if your kitten likes its soothing effect, this is a good toy to buy.
- Available in five styles providing a choice to owners
- Irresistible for cats that respond to catnip
- Perfect for keeping young cats occupied
- Seams are not made to withstand destructive cats
- Banana and rainbow designs can look like a snake and spook cats
9 Prosper Pet Cat Tunnel
- Three-way cat play tunnel
- Made from tear-resistant polyester
- Collapsible sprung steel frame
- Built-in crinkle fabric and peephole
If your kitten loves to run as well as burrow in your cushions or play hide and seek, then this tough three-way cat tunnel will become their new playhouse. And for extra sensory fun, it has a built-in crinkle fabric as well as a cute central peephole and an added bell toy. With three entries/exits, your kit will love to give you the slip as they run and hide inside the tunnel chutes.
And as it is made from tear-resistant polyester, supported by a sprung steel frame it can stand up to the roughest kitten playtime fun. Ideal for indoor or outdoor use, this cat toy is also big enough for adult cats, meaning you get a lot of value for your money. And the beauty of the Prosper Cat Tunnel is that it is both washable and collapsible, so easy to store or transport once your kit’s play session is done.
- Available in two colors providing a choice
- Dangling toys at the entrance are fun for cats
- Easy to fold away when not in use
- Some cats can be spooked by the rustling material
- When open it takes up a lot of space
10 EcoCity Cat Toys
- Made from pet-safe, durable material
- Pack of five natural feather lures
- Lightweight and flexible wand
- Padded handle for comfort
Our top toy for kittens is this lovely teaser toy which comes with five natural feather lures in a range of bright, eye-catching colors to grab your kitten’s attention. The lightweight wand is a decent length, giving you a good reach and the line flicks out well, for lots of feather cat teasing action. Simply hook one of the well-made natural feature lures to the end of the line and move and wiggle around your cat to encourage them to catch it.
The line is a little on the long side, however, so you may need to trim to suit your pet, especially if they are a smaller kitten or cat. Used regularly, not only are these tease wands a fun way to bond with your new kitten, but they will also encourage their reactions and hunting skills as well as give them plenty of cardio and muscle-building exercise. And once the feather is past its best, simply swap for a new one and the teasing fun time can start all over again.
- The feathers are gentle enough for any cat
- Extendable design helps owners to get clear of play space
- The bell is perfect as a lure for playtime
- The string is not designed to withstand heavy chewing
- It can be difficult to attach the replacement lures
11 SmartyKat Skitter Critters Cat Toy Catnip Mice
- Set of three catnip mice
- Each mouse is 4 inches long
- Lightweight and soft
- Safe for children to play with
The SmartyKat pack of three catnip mice is an absolute classic in the world of cat toys, with toy mice going back for decades. The design pays homage to a cat’s natural urge to hunt and chase mice (as mice are their natural prey) and also caters to that hunting instinct. These mice have been made using pet-safe materials in a variety of textures to allow your cat or kitten to have a fun sensory experience during playtime.
Let us not miss the fact that these fun little toys are also each stuffed with catnip! Another classic in the world of kitty care and something that can really step up the game when it comes to playtime. Catnip is completely natural and something that many cats find irresistible – meaning it can help with anxiety. However, the main thing to remember here is that not all cats react to it, so try not to be too disappointed if your cat appears disinterested in that element.
- Helps owners to bond with their cats
- Multiple textures are good for sensory experience
- Tested and meets child safety standards
- Not all cats will react to the catnip
- Not suitable for destructive cats
12 UPSKY 3-Level Turntable Cat Toy with Six Colorful Balls
- Noisey balls provided for sensory use
- The wide-set base provides stability
- Available in three colors
- Very easy to assemble
The Upsky turntable toy is a great design for keeping kittens and young cats entertained in the absence of their owners. This is because the balls kept inside the multi-layer structure are easily accessible, but can’t fall out. As a result, your cat can bat at them all they like with them accidentally ending up underneath the couch or otherwise out of reach. This means the fun doesn’t have to stop.
This comes in three colors, so you can select one that you feel your cat will be most drawn to (or perhaps the one that best suits the decor). Furthermore, it is extremely easy to assemble by simply clicking the three layers together in their stacked formation with the balls sandwiched between each layer. The biggest downside to this design is that the eye stickers on the top of the toy do have a tendency to fall away in particularly humid conditions.
- Multiple balls are ideal to keep multiple cats entertained
- Balls can’t escape as they are being batted
- Anti-slip pads on the bottom keep it in place
- Better suited as a kitten toy as opposed to adult cats
- Stickers on the balls can fall off
Best Kitten Toys: Buyer’s Guide and FAQs
Things to Consider When Buying Kitten Toys
Finding the best kitten toys for your new feline friend can be troublesome, but the best way to narrow down your options and pick the overall best kitten toy for your kitty is to think carefully about several aspects of both your home life and your kitten itself.
How Often Are you Home?
If you’re a full-time worker that isn’t home all that often then you need to ensure you purchase a good range of toys for your cat to enjoy that can help with the various areas of development in your absence. But also ensure that you are engaging with them when you are home, as the only thing I kitten can’t learn from toys is socializing. (especially if you only have one kitten with no other cats)
A puzzle box or pizzle toy of some kind is the perfect way to engage your kitten mentally and help them to develop their problem-solving skills and overall cognitive ability. If you’re planning on having an outdoor cat then problem-solving is an essential part of their development to aid in exploration.
If your cat spends a lot of its time in the house then your kitten’s play time should also include toys that encourage physical stimulation. That means interactive toys that entice chasing and jumping. This is a great way for your kitty to get a little added exercise.
Kitten claws are extremely sharp and quick to shred anything they can get their paws on! If your kitten is relatively well-behaved them you may not need to worry too much about durability. But for the more rambunctious kitties, a quick-moving exciting toy helps them to get that much-needed exercise.
Price and Budgeting
Before purchasing any toys you’ll want to think about how many you’re wanting to get and make a budget for yourself. Once your fall down the rabbit hole of cat toys it can be easy to over-spend with so many great-looking toys out there. A budget is a perfect way to prepare properly for the arrival of your new furry friend.
How to Keep Your Kitten Entertained
There are a variety of ways to keep your kitten engaged and entertained in your absence. Of course, personal interaction tops everything, but if you’re unable to be around for said interaction try a few of these ideas:
- Provide a good range of toys: Make sure the toys you have selected cover everything. That includes toys for mental stimulation, exercise, general entertainment, and pleasure (like catnip).
- Give them their own play space: Try sectioning off a part of the room for your cat to play in. That way they can go as wild as they like without having to worry about knocking into furniture or injuring themselves.
- Try out a cat condo: Cat condos provide platforms for your kitten to jump around as well as a hiding space to curl up in and scratch posts (to save your furniture the trouble of being shredded by tiny kitten claws!). We couldn’t recommend a cat condo more highly as a brilliant piece of cat-keeping equipment.
- Get automated toys: Automated toys actively move around to entice your kitten to chase it. If your cat loves a game of catch, purchasing an automated toy can be a great way to help them hone their hunting skills and get some additional exercise. Especially if they’re kept as house cats.
- Cycle through the toys each day: If you’re wanting to keep your cat interested in its many toys, you should try to cycle through them so that each day they have something different to play with. Put their toys away out of sight, and then each morning pick out a choice few for your cat to enjoy throughout the day. This is a great way to maintain interest in old toys and save you the cost of replacing them when your kitty loses interest.
Our Top Pick
One of the best kitten toys in our review, the Petstages Cat Tracks cat toy is also good value for money as you effectively get three toys for the price of one. A ball to chase, balls to find and a catnip-stuffed toy mouse to bat and paw, this interactive play toy also works to help your kit hone their hunting and motor skills, while having a whole heap of fun. So, when it comes to choosing toys for kittens, this is a good one for your list.
- Joy H. Montgomery, 5 Games Kids Can Play with Cats, HowStuffWorks
- Cat Toys, Games, and Catnip, WebMD
- Debra Horwitz, DVM, Cat Behavior and Training – Play and Play Toys, VCA
Playtime is an important part of a kitten’s development, and must be considered by any pet parents looking to adopt a new kitty. Where kitten toys may not strictly be necessary for a kitty to develop properly, they are a big help. An interactive toy collection can help to keep them to keep active, hone their dexterity and natural hunting skills, and develop their reflexes. Kittens love to play, and if you don’t have multiple cats for them to play with, then it is well worth investing in a few interactive toys for them to enjoy. But don’t forget to spend time with them directly in order to develop their social skill too.
Most kitten toys are designed with longevity in mind. Meaning, they’re made to last with the hope that your cat won’t get bored of them. However, especially intelligent cats can grow tired of their toys once they have them figured out. The best way to combat this is to select toys for your cat to play with each day before leaving the house – this way no two days will be the same.
As many as you want them to have! As we’ve established – kittens love playing. There’s absolutely no reason why a kitten should have a big box of toys it can cycle through. The main thing to try and keep in mind is to limit the toys your cat has access to each day so that they stay fresh and enjoyable. Additionally, try to have a couple of wand toys available for whenever you’re free to play with them yourself.
Not at all. Some cats love catnip toys. Though you may find some respond to catnip better than others. Catnip invokes a natural response from cats when they smell it, but not all cats have said response. You may also find that if they have constant access to the catnip toy, then your feline friend may get used to it and stop showing as much interest. Catnip can be a great way to get your cat’s attention, just don’t feel bad if it doesn’t work out the way you wanted.