If your dog suffers from blindness, you might be worried about their quality of life. One of the ways to make them happy and pass the time is to buy them toys for blind dogs. Fortunately, there are many of these available on the market, but you need to choose carefully because many of them are only advertised as suitable for pooches with impaired vision.
That is why we hit the ground running and found the best toys for blind dogs currently available. While you are reading the reviews below, make sure to check out our buying guide to know which things you need to consider when purchasing this type of toys.
Best Toys for Blind Dogs Buying Guide
What to Look for in Toys for Your Blind Dog?
It’s only natural to assume that toys for blind dogs differ from regular pet toys. Another thing to keep in mind is that each pet has different preferences when it comes to entertainment, which means that one might like a particular toy, while another pooch might not enjoy it at all. Either way, when shopping for the best toys for blind dogs, you should focus on ones that can activate the hearing and smell of your pet. You would be surprised with how good a dog with impaired vision might be in relying on other senses, which is why you should nurture that through playing.
Take a look at several suggestions:
- Toys that make noise – instead of focusing on a visually attractive toy, try to find the one that sounds amazing! Don’t buy toys that make short squeaks, but aim for those that make long noises that last for at least several seconds. If you are playing a searching game, that will make it easier for your pet to find the toy. However, please acknowledge that there are dogs that are afraid of loud sounds and, if your pooch is among them, try to keep things fairly quiet or avoid noisy toys altogether
- Chew toys – there is no reason why pets with hindered sight cannot enjoy them as they are an excellent way to maintain oral hygiene and alleviate boredom. If you are purchasing one of these, think about getting one that is scented so that your dog can be attracted to it
- Scented toys – these are suitable as fetch toys for blind dogs as they will allow your pet to focus on the scent when finding it. No two dogs are alike, which is why you need to figure out which taste your furry friend likes, but the chances are you can’t go wrong with lavender or vanilla
- Interactive toys – thanks to toys that dispense treats, dogs with impaired visions can enjoy playing that brings rewards. If your pet loves a treat with a particular smell, make sure to pack them in to make it simple for your four-legged pal to find the toy.
Benefits of Using Toys for Blind Dogs
Here is why you should use dog toys for blind dogs when playing with your pet:
- Form a relationship with the pooch – if you bought a pet with impaired vision, playing various games with him and using toys will help to establish your bond
- You can use them for training – for example, playing with certain toys will allow your pooch to be close to human hands, which you can use to teach them to inhibit from bites in those situations
- Teach them that the world is a fun place – playtime is an essential part of each day for your dog and probably the time he enjoys the most. Finding the best toys for blind dogs will engage him to play and relive him of boredom, which plays an integral role in keeping your pooch happy
- Increase their confidence – dogs with hindered sight are more cautious than their sighted pals when dealing with the world. Thanks to playing with toys for blind dogs, they will increase their confidence to move around and perform various actions
You May Also Like our Review of the Best Dog Toys.
Q: How Can I Encourage My Blind Dog to Play with Toys?
A: An excellent way is to use scented or interactive dog toys that make sounds.
Q: Is a Blind Dog Difficult to Train?
A: It might be a bit harder task than with sighted dogs, but the focus should remain in giving consistent and clear commands. You can use a clicker that makes a sound so that your pooch has something to associate with when doing things right (don’t forget rewarding him with a treat).
Q: Is It Safe for a Blind Dog to Play with Toys?
A: Yes, as long as the toy doesn’t contain any components he might swallow or that might injure him. Also, when playing fetch, make sure that you are in an open area with no objects that your pet might run into and hurt himself.
Our Top Pick
At the very end of our review, let’s take another look at the list of the best toys for blind dogs and pick a winner. Our team of experts has made a unanimous decision that Wobble Wag Giggle Ball by Allstar Innovations should be your first choice when it comes to toys for blind dogs. Thanks to the funny noises and giggles that this product emits, your pooch should be interested in this item for a long time.
Wobble Wag Giggle Ball is a very versatile toy, considering that it can be used at home or outdoor and it is suitable for dogs of all breeds and ages. The clutch pockets that the ball has make it simple for your dog to grab the toy with their mouth and shake it to enjoy sounds from the protected speaker. The last but not least is that the ball comes at an affordable price, so even if it’s not that durable, it presents an excellent value for money!