Robot vacuums are becoming increasingly popular, and over 10% of US homes are now enjoying the benefits of the best robot vacuums for pet hair. However, the choice of robot vacuum can be a little complicated. You may need certain features such as enhanced suction AI technology to avoid piles of poop and HEPA filters.
So, what is the best robot vacuum for pet hair? We have carried out extensive research into the market, and here we give you all the best options and explain what to look for in a good robot vacuum.
The 10 Top Rated Robot Vacuums for Pet Hair
- Edge-sweeping brushes and multi-surface brushes
- Returns to recharge when battery life is low
- Self emptying base with no dust
- Creates virtual no go zones
- Avoids pet poop on the floor
iRobot has developed a genius robot vacuum in the Roomba j7+ with a staggering range of additional features that make tedious cleaning sessions a complete joy. This robot vacuum cleaner works with you to devise specific cleaning schedules for your home and gets on with the cleaning requiring very little input from you. Moreover, because it constantly learns as it cleans, it gets better and better at its job and suggests extra cleaning sessions during the spring shedding season, making it the best Roomba for pet hair.
You can rely on this Roomba for pets to work around obstacles, and that includes piles of dog or cat poop. When it needs emptying, it heads back to its base and discharges the dirt into its bin without creating a cloud of dust. Add in the 10 X powerlifting suction, the voice assistant control, and the intelligent charging, and you have the ultimate of the best robot vacuums for pet hair. Despite its hefty price tag, its superior functionality represents good value for money.
- Uses artificial intelligence to learn room layouts
- Quiet operation
- Detects and avoids solid pet waste and other small obstacles
- Long hair can wrap round brushes
- A more expensive robot vacuum than some other brands
- Effectively cleans up dog hair
- In-built home security function
- 2500 Pa suction power
- Can clean 2580sqft area on one charge
- Twin cameras to avoid obstacles
With dual cameras and an advanced technology package that allows it to avoid obstacles, the Roborock S6 MaxV is an impressive robot vacuum that will clear up shed hair and dirt. In addition, it combines vacuum with a home security function via an app that allows you to use its cameras to look around your house and its microphone to talk directly to your pet.
This robot vacuum offers 2500Pa suction power for a great cleaning job and a lithium rechargeable battery that will give you 180mins of runtime. This means that it can clean an area of 2580sqft on one charge. This will be one of the best robot vacuums for you if you have a combination of hardwood floors and carpets, as it automatically changes its suction settings. Also, it operates quietly with a noise level of just 67 dB.
- A combined vacuum and communication system with your pet
- Quiet operation so it won’t startle pets
- Long runtime for efficient cleaning
- Struggles with getting under some sofas and chairs
- Carpet boost suction function is not always reliable
- Holds up to 45 days of dirt
- Cleaning can be scheduled with an app
- Connects to Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa devices
- Comes with ‘boundary strips’ to avoid obstacles
The Shark RV1001AE is a self-emptying robot vacuum that allows pet owners to have a very hands-off approach to cleaning up pet hair. It uses IQ technology to clean methodically in rows and move from room to room.
The brushes on the Shark IQ robot vacuum have been designed to resist hair wrapping, and it maps your home so that it can clean efficiently. Not only does it empty itself, but it also cleans its brush rolls. You can use it to pick up pet hair from hard floors and carpets.
- Clear and methodical cleaning pattern
- Requires little input from pet owners
- Good suction for pet hair
- Bagless self-emptying base holds 45 days of dirt
- Must have WiFi to access many of the features
- Does not automatically avoid obstacles
- Combines spinning brushes with suction
- 1500 pa of suction power
- Cleans low pile carpet and hard floors
- Automatically returns to dock when it needs emptying
If you have only hard floors in your home, the Bissell SpinWave Hard Floor Expert could be the best robot vacuum for you. It has two cleaning modes so that it can do a complete clean-up job after your furry friend.
One tank is linked to the powerful suction, and the other actively mops the floor. The rotating mop pads are suitable for sealed hard floors, including wood, linoleum, and tiles. It can sense where your rugs are and work around them. In addition, the robot vacuum comes with the special Bissell wood floor cleaning solution to restore your floor’s natural shine.
- Vacuums and mops the floor
- Long run time (130 minutes)
- Quiet operation
- Detects stairs so they will not fall down them
- Can get stuck on wet floors in mopping mode
- No camera or smart features for mapping
- Slim design to fit under furniture
- Triple filter system
- 0.6-liter dust box
- Senses obstacles and drops
Eufy have introduced a less expensive robot vacuum with their Anker BoostIQ 11S model. It’s also one of the slimmest robot vacuums around – it’s only 2.85 inches high. Yet, despite its small size, it delivers 1300 pa of suction and automatically switches between hard floors and carpet.
It’s operated via remote control and uses infrared technology to avoid obstacles and high drops. When needed, it automatically returns to its charging base and has triple filters to stop dust recontaminating your home.
- No louder than a microwave oven
- Slim design to fit is spaces
- Large wheels to cope with ledges
- Pre-set cleaning times
- You have to buy replacement filters
- Lower suction than many other models
- Brushless efficient motor
- AI technology to map rooms
- Connects to WiFi
- Adjustable height
This premium robot vacuum designed by Xiaomi offers a reasonable suction power at 1800 pa from its brushless motor. It uses AI to map a path around your home and is controlled via WiFi and an app. The battery life is around 2.5 hours, and there are plenty of safety protection devices to avoid electrical accidents.
As it works quietly around your home, it avoids drops, walls, and other obstacles. It automatically adjusts the height of the main brush to give the most effective suction. You can set up a regular cleaning schedule or set it manually for a one-off clean.
- Brushless durable motor
- Long battery life
- Quiet operation
- Can be used for regular cleaning pet hair
- The dust bin is a little smaller than many other robot vacuums
- Can get stuck under sofas
- Seven sensors for mapping
- 2100 Pa of suction
- Straight-line cleaning
- Three cleaning modes
There are no fewer than seven sensors built into the robot vacuum from Wyze, which enable it to accurately map your home for an efficient clean. Also, it works in straight lines and produces a high suction – 2100 Pa.
It will efficiently clean low pile carpets and hardwood floors and cope with gaps of 0.8 inches. There are three modes to choose from depending on how dirty your floor is – quiet, standard, and strong. With 110 minutes of run time, this is an all-around high-performing robot vacuum for pet hair.
- High suction power
- You can choose from three cleaning modes
- Charges itself automatically
- Doesn’t get stuck on rugs
- The map needs to be reset quite often
- Initial set up is time-consuming
- Combined vacuum and mopping functions
- Advanced mAh battery
- Able to construct virtual walls
- Schedule cleaning of specific rooms
There are a huge number of features included with the ECOVACS Deebot T8 and a high level of functionality. Thanks to the advanced mAh battery, you get up to three hours of run time which will clean 3,200 square feet in one go. Added to this is the mopping function, which will mop 2,000 square feet and has a variable mop speed.
You don’t have to worry about obstacles on the floor because it can identify socks and cables and works its way around them. Furthermore, thanks to the advanced laser mapping (controlled via the App), you can label rooms, control the cleaning sequence and designate no mop zones.
- Cleans large areas on one charge
- Mopping intensity can be controlled
- Detects socks on bare floors
- Live stream videos so you can check on your pet
- May not avoid piles of pet poop
- Can ignore virtual walls
- Mops and vacuums floors
- 3000 Pa of suction
- Four stage cleaning function
- Self-emptying dust bin
If you are looking for a hands-free cleaning experience for your home with minimal input from you, Yeedi have a combined device that could be one of the best robot vacuums for pet hair for you. It features 3000 Pa of suction and has a four-stage cleaning system that will tackle crumbs and dirt as well as pet hair.
Thanks to the HEPA dust bag, particles as small as 6 microns are captured. It empties its dust bin into the docking station, which will hold 30 days’ dirt. Combine this with the impressive mopping function, and your floors will be sparkling! It cleans in neat paths using ultrasonic detectors to avoid obstacles.
- You only have to empty the dust bag every 30 days
- Will detect carpets and stop mopping
- Long run time between charges (200 minutes)
- Very high suction power
- You cannot save custom areas
- Struggles to mop ground in dirt
- Controlled via the app, Alexa, or Google Assistant
- Learns how to clean your home
- Suggests personalized schedules
- Does not get tangled in pet hair
You are in complete control of your Roomba i7 (7150) using the iRobot home app. You can set when the cleaning will occur and dictate where it does and does not clean. The more you use it, the smarter it gets. It learns where you usually clean and suggests personalized schedules for you.
It excels at cleaning pet hair thanks to the dual multi-surface rubber brushes – they will not get tangled up in your pet’s hair. It also cleans right up to the edges of rooms where pet hair is collected. The HEPA filtration system traps 99% of dander allergens for those with allergies.
- Powerful suction for pet hair
- Detailed control via the app
- Can target specific areas
- HEPA filter for pet allergens
- Smartphones and vacuums have to be connected to the same WiFi
- User information is limited
How to Choose the Best Robot Vacuum for Pet Hair
Robot vacuums are getting more popular in the US, where over 10% of homes now have one. They are the perfect household device for people fed up with constantly cleaning up after their pets.
The robot vacuum cleaner market is very crowded, and some of the leading brands even offer more than one model. Therefore, it is worth taking your time to make sure that you pick the best overall robot vacuum for your home.
What is a Robot Vacuum and How Does it Work?
A robot vacuum cleaner is essentially a mini vacuum for pet hair that works with minimum input from you. Most robot vacuums and disc-shaped devices combine rotating brushes and suction.
The dust and pet fur are collected in a tank that has to be emptied manually or empties itself into a larger bin at a docking station. Cheaper models rely on tape to work around obstacles, but the premium models have infrared sensors.
You can usually schedule cleaning sessions and control the robot vacuum via remote control or app. Some of the best robot vacuums for pet hair can also be integrated with smart home voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, or Siri. They run on rechargeable batteries with variable run times depending on the battery’s power. Some have a mopping attachment and water tank, so they will clean floors and vacuum them.
Features to Look for in a Robot Vacuum for Pet Hair
We can help you choose the best robot vacuum for dog hair. Check out our ultimate list of what features you should look out for:
- Strong suction. This is measured in Pa and ranges from 1,000 to over 3,000. A robot vacuum for pet hair should always have strong suction, so get the highest you can afford.
- Rubber brushes. Even the best-rated robot vacuum for pet hair is no good if your pet’s fur snags up the brushes. Bristle rollers are very bad for this, so choose rubber brushes.
- Large dust bin. Small dust bins that need to be constantly emptied are a nuisance, and you will soon get fed up with them.
- Artificial intelligence. You should expect your automatic vacuum for pet hair to clean in an intelligent and methodical way around your home, avoiding obstacles.
- Quiet operation. You should not be able to notice that it is there!
What are the Benefits of Robot Vacuums?
If you are thinking of snapping up one of the robot vacuum deals here, let us set out the benefits that you will gain:
- Time-saving. While your robot gets the vacuuming done, you get on with other things like playing with your pet.
- Low maintenance. Even a budget-friendly robot vacuum will be made from superior materials and durable and low maintenance.
- Smart homes. Many robot vacuums connect to WiFi and are part of the smart home revolution.
- Tight spaces and edges. Robot vacuums can hug the edges of rooms and get into corners that regular vacuums cannot.
Robot Vacuum vs. Regular Vacuum for Pet Hair
A robot vacuum for pets is now a very popular gadget – they are used by many pet owners and are competing even with Dyson Pet Vacuums these days.
They could be a better option if you have mainly hard floors and some low pile carpets than a regular vacuum. They will do an efficient job and save you a lot of time. However, if you have a lot of high pile carpets and different floor surfaces in multiple rooms, several models may struggle to do a complete job. In these homes, a regular vacuum may be a better choice. We have our top choices in the best vacuum for dog hair.
Some dogs are very scared of vacuums, and robot vacuums for pets will probably be less startling for them.
Yes, all the models featured here will do a great job of collecting up cat hair and dog hair from your home. Some will even work their way around pet waste which is important if you have a new pup.
They have strong suction that is powerful enough to collect up pet hair and they clean right up to the walls where hair tends to collect.
The iRobot Roomba is one of the most sophisticated robot vacuums in terms of mapping technology and control via an app. It also has wheels that resist getting tangled in pet hair and a HEPA filter to help with pet allergens.
Even though it is more expensive than some other models, these additional features make it worth it for some pet owners – particularly if you have a long-haired pet and a family member with pet allergies.
This depends on how large your room is. As a general rule of thumb, a standard robot vacuum will take between one and two hours to clean a room of 2,000 square feet. There are several factors that could slow it down. If it runs out of battery mid-clean, it will have to return to its base to recharge. If its dust box gets full, it will have to stop for that to be emptied. So, it also depends on how dirty the floor of the room is.
Some robot vacuums for pet hair have a self-emptying dustbin and will take themselves back to their base when their dust bin is full. However, others have to be manually emptied.
Most will carry out two or three cycles before they need to be emptied. However, if your pet sheds a lot of hair, you may have to empty it more frequently. If this is an issue for your home, the best robot vacuum for you would be one with a larger dust bowl.
To keep it on good working order, your robot vacuum needs to be regularly cleaned. Start with the dust bin – this needs to be emptied. Then, remove the air filter and give it a tap over the bin to dislodge debris. If the filter is washable, do this according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Most robot vacuums have removable brushes that can be taken off the main body so that you can pull off any hair that is trapped around them. The same goes for the side brushes.
Finally, you need to wipe over the sensors with a soft cloth to remove debris. Occasionally, there will be dust on the charging port that needs to be wiped away with a microfiber cloth.
The manufacturer will recommend how often the vacuum filter should be changed. It is usually every few months or so. Some can be washed and put back once they are completely dry. Others have to be discarded and replaced.
If your robot vacuum has a HEPA filter it is important to inspect it frequently. A HEPA filter is a high-efficiency particulate absorbing filter. They are very efficient and remove many allergens from the home, this is why many pet owners with allergies like to choose a vacuum with a HEPA filter.