Most pet owners know that owning a beloved pet often means cleaning the floors on a regular basis is part and parcel of their new best friend. However, it’s not uncommon for most household floor cleaners to actually be harmful to pets. With their sensitive paws being open to the chemicals used by many big-name brands, floor cleaners that aren’t pet-friendly can often lead to sore, cracked, and even burned pads. To avoid this, simply opt for pet-friendly floor cleaners instead. Below, we give you the best pet-safe cleaners for your four-legged friends and get into the nitty-gritty, when it comes to which ingredients to look out for, and more.
The 10 Top Rated Pet-Safe Floor Cleaners
|Editor's Pick||Product Name||Price||Rating|
|Best Overall||Better Life Naturally Pet-Safe Floor Cleaner||Buy on Amazon||4.6|
|Best Multi-Surface||Puracy All Purpose Cleaner Concentrate||Buy on Amazon||4.7|
|Best Vinegar Cleaner||Aunt Fannie's Vinegar Wash Concentrate||Buy on Amazon||4.4|
|Great Smell||Bean & Lily Floor Cleaner||Buy on Amazon||4.5|
|Best for Hard Floors||Method Hard Floor Cleaner||Buy on Amazon||4.7|
|Best Plant-Based||Eco-Me Natural Plant-Based Concentrated Multi-Surface Floor Cleaner||Buy on Amazon||4.5|
|Best Odor Remover||Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner||Buy on Amazon||4.6|
|Best for Cleaning Machines||BISSELL Multi-Surface Pet Formula With Febreze Freshness||Buy on Amazon||4.8|
|Best Hypoallergenic||ATTITUDE Nature + Hypoallergenic Floor Surface Cleaner||Buy on Amazon||4.5|
|Best for Hardwood Floors||Begley's Best Earth Responsible Hardwood Floor Cleaner||Buy on Amazon||4.6|
- Cruelty-free product never tested on animals
- Plant-based with biodegradable ingredients
- No rinsing required after use
- Scented with citrus and mint
- Safe to use on all sealed floors
Hitting the top spot as our Best Choice option is this pet-safe hardwood floor cleaner from Better Life. Suitable for use on a wide range of sealed floors, this option provides excellent coverage and offers unbeatable value for money. A pack of two gives 32fl oz for you to work with, without the need to dilute yet still providing a surprising amount of coverage for each use.
Pet owners can use this with a steam mop, or a damp string, fabric, or sponge option, and users will be left with the delicate scents of bergamot and citrus – leaving your home smelling clean, too! Completely non-toxic, and not tested on animals, this is the ideal choice for animal lovers and pet owners.
- Smells amazing with strong citrus and mint scent
- Suitable for use with a spray mop when diluted
- Streak-free after drying
- Can leave a slight film on the floor after use
- Should not be stored upside down as bottle can leak
- Makes one gallon of cleaning solution
- Vegan certified cruelty-free product
- Biodegradable plant-based formula
- Suitable for use with all surfaces
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Able to make up to one gallon worth of cleaning fluid, this plant-based, all-natural floor cleaner is completely safe and suitable for households with pets. Able to be used on all surfaces, thanks to its natural ingredients, this is a great option for all surfaces. You can even use this on kitchen countertops, right through to smartphones and tablets.
Providing such a great all-in-one option, this pet-safe product is ideal for busy households, as well as those looking for a great all-purpose cleaner. Leaving you with a natural fragrance, this is loved by pet owners across America for being gentle yet powerful, as well as being suitable for pets.
Purified Water, Decyl Glucoside (Sugar-Based Cleanser), C6-C12 Alcohol Ethoxylate (Sugar-Based Cleanser), C12-C15 Alcohol Ethoxylate (Plant-Based Cleanser), C9-C11 Alcohol Ethoxylate (Plant-Based Cleanser), Citric Acid (Plant-Based pH Neutralizer), Sodium Citrate (Plant-Based pH Neutralizer), Natural Green Tea & Lime Fragrance, Benzisothiazolinone (Biodegradable Preservative)
- Reduced plastic bottles are better for the environment
- The green tea and lime scent is extremely strong
- Works well with fabrics such as suede (e.g. couches)
- Not suitable for use of glass surfaces as it leaves streaks
- Not suitable for large, particularly stubborn stains
- Top safety rating from Environmental Working Group
- Safe on hard floors, sealed wood, and stone
- Gentle pet-friendly cleaning solution
- Suitable for multiple flooring types
- Available in five scent options
Hugely popular with buyers and providing the best price available, this white vinegar-based dog-safe floor cleaner has been created with pets in mind. While most vinegar-based products can leave a bitter smell behind, this pet floor cleaner has been able to beat harsh odors with a pleasant eucalyptus scent. Although other scents are available too, we particularly love the fresh scent of this option.
Completely safe for sealed wood and stone flooring, this is an all-natural option that has proven to be a massive hit with buyers. Cruelty-free and never tested on animals, this is a great choice for any animal lovers out there, as well as being safe for kids. Customers even noted that one purchase goes a long way, making this even better value for money, overall.
- Suitable for hardwood, concrete, lino, tile, vinyl, and laminate, etc
- Safe for use around babies and pets (no harsh chemicals)
- Completely natural plant-based cleaning solution
- Unsuitable for unsealed flooring
- Highly concentrated so requires proper dilution before use
- Biodegradable, eco-friendly, plant-based solution
- Pet-safe, PH neutral, non-toxic floor cleaner
- Gentle cedar and cypress scent
- Produced in Cary, NC, United States
- Safe for use in households with children
Bean & Lily’s floor cleaning is ideal for cleaning up pet messes as it is not an overly harsh product and is capable of overriding the difficult smell of an accident. Though keep in mind that this is a floor cleaner and not an all-purpose cleaner, meaning if your pet has an accident on the couch, you will need an alternative cleaning solution.
This cleaner is non-toxic and free from any harmful chemicals, which makes it both baby- and pet-safe, and ideal for routine cleaning, as there’s no worry of dangerous chemicals lingering on your floor. This does only come with one scent (cedar and cypress), however, we appreciate that they haven’t gone for the standard citrus smell, offering buyers a change of pace.
- Never tested in animals (Leaping Bunny Certified)
- Once diluted the smell is gentle and pleasant
- Suitable for use with a wide range of sealed floor types
- Some customers found the bottle to be an awkward design
- Can leave a sticky residue if not properly diluted
- Squirts straight onto floor, no dilution required
- Available in three scent options
- No rinsing required after use
- Minimal elements that are all plant-based
The Method floor cleaning solution is perfect for someone in a hurry. There’s no need to mess around setting up a mop and bucket and carefully diluting the solution, you simply squirt it straight into the floor. This is a pre-diluted and balanced option, making it one of the ideal non-toxic floor cleaners for someone with very little time to get the house in order.
Furthermore, this is a gentle formula that won’t irritate your dog’s paws, meaning it’s safe for them to walk on immediately after cleaning (once the floor is dry). Though it is a mild cleaning solution, it is effective at removing surface grime and refreshing up a room quickly and with ease. However, this cleaner is not designed to remove tough stains, which is something to be mindful of before use.
Water (Aqua)*, Caprylyl/Myristyl Glucoside*, Isopropylidene Glycerol*, Glycerin*, Sodium Citrate*, Carboxymethylinulin*, Fragrance (Parfum: Linalool), Citric Acid*, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzylisothiazolinone, Polymeric Blue, Polymeric Yellow *Denotes Plant Or Mineral Origin
- Suitable for use with multiple sealed floor types including laminate and vinyl
- Bottles are made using 100% recycled plastic (platinum TRUE certified)
- No dilution required makes for quick and easy use
- Not suitable for large areas of heavy staining
- Can be used up very quickly depending on the size of the cleaning area
- No toxic residue left behind after use
- Made from plant extracts and natural botanicals
- Leaping Bunny certified and cruelty-free
- Septic and grey water safe
- Available in two scent options
The Eco-me plant-based multi-surface cleaner is one of the most useful and long-lasting household cleaners on our list today. This is due to the fact that it is a concentrated mixture, meaning the bottle should last longer, as you won’t need very much with each use. It is also completely plant-based and pet-safe, so once you’re done cleaning you won’t have the worry of irritating your pet’s skin.
Of the many pet-safe floor cleaners we are reviewing on this list, we also appreciate that this is not only a floor cleaner but a multi-surface cleaner. You can simply dilute some of the solution and pour it into a spray bottle if you’re wanting to freshen up your countertops. Additionally, the Eco-me multi-surface cleaner is septic tank and grey water safe, so there’s no worry of erosion or damage after disposal.
Water, Coco Glucoside (Plant-derived soap), Decyl Glucoside (Plant-derived Soap), Capryl Capryl Glucoside (Plant-derived Solubilizer), Leuconostoc (Radish Root Antimicrobial), Xanthan Gum, Natural Plant Essential Oils, Glyceryl Caprylate Caprate (Vegetable-derived Thickener), Potassium Sorbate (Food-grade Preservative)
- Free from Sulfates, Artificial Fragrance, Bleach, Dyes, Ammonia, and Harsh Preservatives
- The scent is fresh and not too overwhelming
- Can be mixed with water and put into a spray bottle for surface cleaning
- Can be quite foamy when mixed up
- If not diluted properly it can leave a film behind once dried
- Ideal for removing stains and odors
- Hardwood safe enzyme-based cleaner
- Money-back satisfaction guarantee offered
- Helps to keep on top of indoor pollution
- Also available in large 128 fl oz bottle
Many people are not aware of the existence of enzyme-based cleaning agents. However, cat and dog owners alike would get a big kick out of the Nature’s Miracle hard floor cleaner. This cleaning agent is capable of cutting straight through organic material such as fecal matter and urine, thanks to the bio-enzymatic formula, which is an all-natural method of cleaning organic messes and stains.
Bio-enzymic formulas eat away at the organic matter that is causing the stain, which doesn’t only remove the stain itself, but also breaks down the smell left behind. (I think we’ve all been there with cat and dog urine at some point or another). However, it is worth noting that this is specifically effective against ORGANIC material, not chemical or synthetic stains such as ink or paint.
- The bio-enzymatic formula is ideal for deep-cleaning hardwood floor
- Works with fecal matter, urine, grease, fats, oil, and other organic substrates
- Can be used with a spray bottle or spray mop
- Occasionally leaves a film that needs to be rinsed away
- Specifically designed for organic staining not synthetic staining
- Design for use in Cross Wave or Spin Wave machines
- Cuts through mud, paw prints, and other messes
- Combined with Febreze for additional freshness
- Contains no heavy metals, phosphates, or dyes
- Available in both 80 and 60 fl oz bottles
With a concentrated formula such as BISSELL’s multi-surface pet formula, it is extremely important that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions and dilute the solution properly in order to make it fully pet-safe and avoid skin irritation. As the name would suggest, this cleaning agent is suitable for use with multiple surfaces and cleans floors and countertops alike, however, it is worth noting that this particular mixture is ideally suited to use with a Cross Wave or Spin Wave machine.
Though a perk to this cleaning solution is that if you are in a pinch, it can be used with other mops. However, it is not recommended to use it too often outside of its intended use. The Febreze combination creates a fresh, clean scent without being overpowering. Additionally, customers have remarked on how easy this cleaner is to use, with clear and concise instructions.
- The scent is noticeably fresh without being overwhelming
- Manufacturer instructions are clear and easy to follow
- Can be used with alternative devices if necessary
- Designed for use with a specific machine
- Only available in large bottles
- Surfactants made from fatty alcohols and plant-derived glucose
- Made with plant- and mineral-based ingredients
- Does not include any synthetic fragrances
- Dermatologically-tested and hypoallergenic
- ECOLOGO Certified: biodegradable and sustainable
Attitude’s Nature+ range doesn’t only include this hypoallergenic floor cleaner, but also a full range of other hypoallergenic cleaning products including but not limited to fruit and veg wash, bathroom cleaner, window and glass cleaner, laundry detergent, and air purifiers. This is a carefully formulated floor cleaning product containing plant-based ingredients, which has been dermatologically tested, to ensure a gentle but effective cleaning solution.
It is worth noting that this does need to be used as a dilute solution, mixing 60 ml with 4 liters of unheated water for the best effect. Attitude also advises only using it diluted when cleaning a hardwood floor, as the non-diluted product could cause damage to the finish. Just be mindful of storage with this bottle, as a few previous customers have noted that it can leak if stored improperly.
<5% non-ionic surfactants (caprylyl glucoside, myristyl glucoside). Contains also: Water, sodium gluconate, sodium iminodisuccinate, saponins, terpineol (citrus), decanal (citrus), allyl heptanoate (sweet fruit).
- Hypoallergenic formula make this perfect for sensitive pets
- Attitude also produces all-purpose cleaner and many others
- Packaging is recyclable and made from recycled material
- Some customers would prefer it not need to be diluted as much
- If improperly stored, the bottle can leak
- Natural citrus-based solvent for hardwood floors
- Available in 64 fl oz and 24 fl oz bottle
- Doesn’t require diluting before use
- USDA Certified Biobased Product
- Natural fresh citrus scent
Begley’s Best hardwood floor cleaner is a simple solution that utilizes the natural cleaning ability of citric acid to cut through grime without damaging the hardwood floor underneath. It is another plant-based formula, meaning it is safe for houses with pets and young children. The formula predominantly consists of various natural oils including bergamot, citronella, ginger, lemon, and rosemary to name a few. This use of natural oils ensures that this cleaner will be gentle on the surface you clean.
As a little added bonus, it is not designed to be diluted, meaning it is perfect for someone looking to quickly polish up and maintain their beautiful flooring. However, they do advise using a microfiber mop immediately after cleaning as a final buffing agent. Furthermore, though it states hardwood in the name, many customers have attested to its usefulness with a variety of hard floor surfaces.
Water, Decyl Glucoside, SDA 38b, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Cymbopogon Nardus (Citronella) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Oil, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Oil, Litsea, Cubeba Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Phenoxyethanol
- The plant-based formula is safe for inhalation when evaporating
- The bottle is made of recyclable material
- A completely cruelty-free company with no animal testing
- The large bottle can be cumbersome and awkward to handle
- Can leave a dulling residue on a high-gloss floor
Best Pet-Safe Floor Cleaner Buying Guide
Why Pet Owners Need To Take Care When Cleaning Their Floors
Keeping your house clean, when owning a pet, can be a bit of a minefield. As well as dealing with all the extra fur from molting, walkies and toilet time can often lead to a dirty floor that requires a deep clean on a very regular basis. This often means that owners will look to the classic floor cleaners, in order to keep on top of the extra requirements – but most cleaners will use products that can actually harm your pets. This is especially true when it comes to using the same chemicals over a long period of time.
Chemicals can often make paws sore and even lead to burns on the open skin of the pads, and these can even lead to further issues. As well as your four-legged friend requiring immediate care for these chemical burns, they will also need to be kept off their feet, in order to heal – so no more walkies until they’re all better. Worse still, dogs and cats may try to lick their poorly paws in order to make themselves feel better, therefore ingesting the problem ingredients and causing severe health problems throughout their digestive system. In the worst cases, extremely strong chemicals can lead to death.
For this reason, it’s important to invest in a good quality pet-safe cleaner that ensures non-toxic and non-lethal ingredients are used. Pet owners can absolutely still have a clean and tidy home – without the risk of causing any harm to the health and wellbeing of your beloved family member.
What to Look For in a Pet-Safe Floor Cleaner
These should be used in place of artificial fragrances, which can be harmful to your pup. While there are many options for cleaning your home with natural, non-toxic ingredients, you should still enjoy the final product itself and scent can be a major contributor as to whether you will use these again. There’s a huge range of different oils out there to choose from, so be sure to pick one that you feel fits well with yourself and your home.
Most animal lovers will agree that testing on pets is wrong, so why not double-up with your purchase and opt for a floor cleaning purchase that is also cruelty-free? Check the description to ensure your next option isn’t tested on animals. Better yet, look out for the hopping bunny sign on the back of the product, which is the universal indicator of a cruelty-free product.
One of the biggest issues when it comes to finding a product that keeps your house clean while being suitable for pets is the ingredients used. Harsh chemicals can lead to burns on your pup’s paws, so check the list given below, to ensure that your next item doesn’t include any of these. Ideally, buyers should look for natural ingredients, such as cleaning vinegar in place of ammonia.
As with any cleaner, checking the value for money is key to buying a great product – and part of this is ensuring you get a good level of coverage for the price paid. Concentrated options are great for providing buyers with a much higher level of square feet for each purchase – but can mean that you’ll need to be careful when mixing the product with water. Too little and you may find that your house isn’t as clean as you’d like it to be. Too much and the scent can be overpowering or leave you with streaks on the floor, or even a clean floor that is extra slippy!
As with coverage, buyers will naturally want their next buy to actually leave their house clean. Check reviews and the ingredients to see whether the makeup given in your preferred option is able to leave you with a clean floor and house. Don’t forget to beware of options that seem too good to be true – cheap selections may seem like a good deal, but if you need to use a full bottle each time, you can end up spending more, overall.
Potentially Toxic Cleaning Ingredients for Your Pets
Used to avoid streaks on your floor, this potentially lethal option can cause severe damage to the lungs of your pet. In particular, when mixed with bleach, this ingredient can create a toxic gas that can have devastating consequences.
Instead, opt for vinegar – with white being the most widely used variant, due to its excellent finish and clear liquid. This has a low Ph that can kill bad bacteria while leaving you with a streak-free floor.
Also called chlorine on ingredient labels, this can cause damage to the sensitive mucous membranes of animals, leading to coughing and vomiting, as well as watery eyes and other problems around the mouth and face. A good alternative to this is baking soda, which is much gentler and still holds impressive cleaning power.
Most artificial fragrances include phthalates, which are a major irritant to the skin. Causing peeling, dry skin, and eczema, these may also be ingested by pets who often lick their paws to help soothe themselves. Opt for essential oils in place of these, as they can often come with the added benefit of being antimicrobial – as long as you buy high-quality options.
Technically considered a natural product by most companies, many companies try to hide the worst qualities of this ingredient behind labels such as formalin, methanol, and ethylene oxide. This can damage the cells and membranes of your pet over longer periods of time, yet offers nothing more than a fresher smell. Instead, open the windows and allow a bit of fresh air into the home – this comes with the added benefit of drying your floors even faster!
Most ordinary floor cleaners will include some of the most harmful ingredients to animals, as they’re created to give the best results possible at the lowest possible price. These low-price options can seem tempting to buy at first, but if you look out for the harmful ingredients (given above), it’s likely that everyday cleaners will include multiple offenders.
For this reason, it’s much safer to look for a pet-safe alternative, instead. These don’t have to be expensive, and they can even provide plenty of other benefits – such as being safe for use in households with young children.
Even when using a safe alternative, keeping your pet off the floor after cleaning is an important part of your routine. Even if the ingredients are not harmful to your pet, over-exposure to any cleaning product can lead to problems with sensitive areas. Not to mention that stepping on a wet floor can often lead to little paw prints being visible, directly after cleaning!
The best thing to do here is to wait until the floor is completely dried, before letting your four-legged friends back into the room. This can be a pain if you’re in a rush – but using warm water or even boiling water, can help speed up the drying time. Just be sure not to burn yourself when cleaning with hot or warm water.
If you have a carpet, instead of a sealed floor, there are few options for making a pet cleaner at home – although these are also handy to use for those who need help in a pinch! Firstly, you can use bicarbonate of soda to soak up any accidents (especially during puppy training), you can use this as a standalone product and hoover up the soda after it has soaked up the offending mess. Or, you can mix this with liquid soap or white vinegar and essential oils.
Related Post: Carpet Cleaners for Dog Urine
The latter option can also be used as an all-purpose cleaner. Vinegar is a powerful tool against grease and grime, as well as general dirt, but can cause quite the smell when used on its own. Mix this with essential oils to overpower the harsh smell, or use lemon juice to leave you with a clean home that holds a fresh scent, too!