The safety of your dog is paramount when on his daily walk, especially if it’s dark or the weather means visibility is not the best. Ensuring your dog is seen can keep them safe and if you're able to let him off the leash, you can see exactly where they're playing at all times. But aside from taking a torch, how else can you make sure your pooch is seen? Well, with an LED-lit dog harness, you can ensure they're brightly lit and visible to all.
Using pet-safe LED lights, set across a normal dog harness, you can illuminate not only your dog but also the surrounding area around them. LED harnesses are also a good choice for large or boisterous pooches as you can safely keep them visible and happily under control. In this list, we’ve shone a light on the brightest, most durable, and most comfortable LED reflective dog harnesses so you can choose the best for your pet.
- LED Harnesses provide better visibility than reflective harnesses.
- Reflective harnesses have the bonus of not needing batteries or charging.
- Having a lit-up harness significantly reduces dog loss and injury in dark conditions.
- Not all LED dog harnesses are suitable for machine washing.
- Measure your dog carefully before purchasing a harness to ensure a safe fit.
- Most LED dog harnesses are water-resistant but not waterproof.
- Fiber optic vests provide all-over illumination for the full vest.
The 10 Top Rated LED Dog Harnesses
- Eight bright colors and two modes
- Can be seen over half a mile away
- Made from military-grade Cordura
- Lightweight and water-resistant
With more color options than you can shake a torch at, the Noxgear LightHound means serious business when it comes to being seen. You get a choice of eight super-bright LED colors as well as solid or multi-flashing modes. This is one of the best-LED harnesses for all dogs, as the makers claim those dazzling LED lights are visible up to ½ a mile away.
But what we like most about this harness is its use of fiber optics, instead of individual LEDs, to provide full harness illumination, boosted by reflective strips for a powerful on-the-go glow. Add in a harness made from military-grade Cordura that’s durable, lightweight, water-resistant, and breathable, and with the LightHound, you are on to a LED winner.
- The exceptionally strong material is capable of withstanding strong dogs.
- An all-over illuminating best with a great range of color options.
- The adjustment straps on this harness can be a bit difficult to get to grips with.
- No pull harness design
- Steady glow or flashing modes
- Quick-release buckles
- Adjustable and padded for comfort
If you have a dog that’s a bit of a puller, then this LED dog harness is the one for you. Made from soft mesh material, this padded and adjustable harness has a wide back panel to evenly distribute pulling pressure, helping to keep your pooch safely to heel. When it comes to visibility, the Domi LED dog harness has that covered too thanks to the evenly spaced LEDs which you can set at steady or flashing.
Ok, they may not be as brilliantly bright as some other harnesses in this review and there are no LEDs on the chest, but they do the job in low light, dark evenings, or bad weather. And, they recharge in two hours, to give you up to eight hours illumination.
- The choice of light modes enables the owner to adjust the visibility in different environments.
- The breathable fabric and padding are ideal for keeping a dog comfortable as they move.
- No illumination on the front of the best means limited visibility from the front.
- Front ‘no choke’ leash attachment
- Two-mode Tri-colored LED on the buckle
- Adjustable, padded mesh harness
- Quick-release buckles and control handle
Another ‘anti-pull’ harness, this time with a second leash attachment at the front for a choke-free walk after dark. And, unlike our other harnesses, the PoyPet uses three colored LEDs in the side snap buckle as the main source of illumination. We like the fact that although in one place, they are really bright and can be set to steady or flash modes.
You also get reflective strips across the harness and adjustable straps. This is a harness suitable for any time of the day and adapts as the night or weather rolls in. With a control handle, mesh padding, and comfort elastic on the belly straps, this is a versatile harness that’s also a bit of a bright spark.
- Available in 25 color combinations and four sizes to fit most dogs.
- The light-up buckle provides an extra bit of visibility security alongside the reflective strips.
- There are not as many light-up elements on this harness as there are on others.
- Made of soft polyester fabric and mesh
- Evenly distributes weight to reduce pressure
- Long battery life around 6-8 hours
- UBS rechargeable in two hours
Must like the Domi light-up harness, the Ezier harness provides a variety of light modes including controlling the brightness as well as selecting between the slow flash and quick flash choices. Flashing lights can help to draw the eye to a dog if they’re straying from the path. The choice of brightness can help to preserve the battery by allowing you to turn the light down when in total darkness and prevent yourself from being dazzled.
This harness can also be coupled with a coyote vest in areas where your dog may be in danger of being attacked if they stray too far away. This may not be something all pet owners need, but it certainly comes in handy in the more dangerous areas. We also appreciate that there are several color options as well as size options to make it more inclusive.
- Can be used alongside a coyote vest if needed, making them visible but also safe.
- A sturdy design with bright lights that can be easily spotted at a distance.
- Not a waterproof harness meaning the lights can be damaged in severe weather.
- Three bulbs in each clip on
- 3 light settings; steady light, single bulb, multi-bulb
- Not rechargeable (2x lithium batteries)
- Can be seen more than half a mile away
This clip-on light is a nifty piece of equipment for dogs that perhaps have an aversion to wearing a harness, or are incapable of wearing one. The compacted trip of LED lights results in extremely bright dog accessories for your dog’s collar that make a big difference in visibility when out and about with your pup. Some dog owners do choose to use multiple at once when in difficult, low visibility environments.
The fact that the package contains multiple colors also allows owners of multiple dogs to color code and differentiate each dog whilst on a walk. Each of these small lamps has a long-lasting battery life as they don’t use much power. However, should you choose to use the rapid flashing light setting or the multi-bulb setting, the power will drain more quickly.
- The ideal accessory for dogs that are unable to wear harnesses.
- Quick and easy to attach to and remove from the collar.
- The batteries do need replacing after around 60 hours of continuous use.
- Reflective vest with LED light strips
- USB rechargeable – one-hour recharge
- Lightweight, soft and comfortable
- Available in five sizes
With the looks of a more conventional high viz jacket, this LED dog vest is a good choice for urban dog walking. Made from high visibility orange reflective material, you also get reflective strips plus two rows of LED lights down your pooch’s back. And the speedy recharge time is impressive – just one hour and you and your pup can hit the mean, dark streets once more.
The whole vest is lightweight and easy to fit, thanks to the soft fabric and adjustable belt. All the buckles are quick release too, for hassle-free dog walking. Available in five sizes, this reflective harness is LED dog-walking tech the straightforward way.
- The quick-release mechanism is great in emergencies such as the dog getting trapped.
- A wide range of sizes is available to fit most dog breeds.
- The lit areas of the vest are limited to strips on the back with nothing on the front.
- Rechargeable LED dog harness
- Made from breathable, reflective material
- Up to 10 hours light per charge
- Comes with a bungee leash
This is a two for the price of one harness from MelonTail as you get both LED light tech and a bungee leash for night-time walkies fun. The harness is a compact size but packs a decent illuminating punch, thanks to the LED-lined back, side, and shoulder panel that’s made from reflective material.
The lights may not be as evenly distributed around the back as other harnesses, however. The harness material is breathable, to keep your pooch comfortable as he works up an exercise sweat. There’s also a built-in USB rechargeable battery for up to 10 hours of light time per re-juice. And the bungee leash is a nice touch, making the whole package a good deal for urban night walking.
- Has a long battery life and only needs charging around 1-2 times a week.
- The entire back piece is made up of reflective material that is a powerless backup.
- No lights around the front of the harness, which limits visibility.
- Eight LED colors; six modes
- 15 hours’ use on a single charge
- Easy to put on and adjust
- Secure leash attachment
Last, but not least is our Premium Pick, this smart-looking LED reflective harness vest that gives you a choice of eight vivid light colors. You also get six flashing modes, which can be changed at the press of a button, and the harness design and LED location gives you 360-degree visibility of your pet.
With the harness made from reflective material, the ‘low slung’ design enhances the location of the LED, which is four independent lines that run the length of the seams in an X shape over the back. The harness itself is easy to put on, with Velcro straps to keep everything secure. And, as a final plus point, the Blazin Safety LED harness has an impressive 15-hour battery life on one single charge.
- A great combination of bold LED lights and completely reflective material.
- Has a wide variety of flashing modes and color options.
- Not ideal for strong dogs as the adjustment straps can loosen when pulled.
- Comes with high visibility leash
- Specially designed for small dogs
- Visible up to 600 feet away
- 4 flash modes and 7 color options
This is an excellently designed dog vest for providing maximum visibility and customizability. The use of fiber optics covering the entire vest, including the area that wraps around the neck, ensures you’ll be able to see your dog clearly for up to 600 feet in low light conditions – making those night-time walks easier and leash-free time more enjoyable.
The vest offers a wide range of customizable options including multiple lighting modes and a choice of seven light colors. This means you can not only keep your dog safe with blinking lights to enable you to recognize your pup more easily in usually lit areas, but you could also use multiple of the same vest for more than one dog. This is ideal for dog foster carers that may have to walk multiple dogs at once.
- All-over fiber optics provide the ultimate visibility from all angles.
- Available in two color options and three sizes to suit a good range of small dog breeds,
- The fibers can come loose if the dog is a bit too rough or with excessive use.
- Rechargeable via micro UBS
- The lightbox has seven modes
- LED light pipes for visibility
- Each charge lasts up to 18 hours
The WINSEE LED dog harnesses have a uniquely designed lightbox that sits atop your dog’s back when the harness is being worn. The box has clear buttons for power and mode changing and contains size LED lights that can be clearly seen from a long way off. We particularly enjoy the sci-fi-style design of this harness as it’s guaranteed to catch your eye.
The four light pipes that protrude from each corner of the lightbox have been specifically created to produce as much well-rounded light as possible with the idea that the harness not only lights your dog’s surroundings but the dog themselves as well. However, if you have a dog that loves to explore, we’d suggest avoiding this harness as the pipes can get snagged on objects.
- The light pipes provide all-round lighting, lighting both the dog and their surrounding.
- The nylon handle is really helpful for guiding your dog through difficult spaces.
- The pipes can get caught on objects if the dog tries to explore in this vest.
Why You Need a LED Dog Harness For Your Pooch
Any way to make your pooch more visible after dark is a good thing. Especially if you have a pup that’s partial to running around in the dark. An LED harness provides your dog with an electronically lit method of being seen from a distance. This is a significant improvement that reflective material as it doesn’t require a light to be shone on it to be visible. Here are our top reasons why you need a LED harness for your pooch:
- Greater levels of illumination, ensuring your dog can be seen from all angles
- Superior visibility, especially near roads and cars reduces the chance of an accident
- A great choice for outdoor adventures and overnight camping with your pet
- A secure and comfortable alternative to an LED collar
- You can keep track of your dog during his nocturnal potty breaks
- Shows to others that you put your pooch’s safety and wellbeing first
- A significant improvement on a reflective material as it can always be seen
Features to Look for in a Light Up Dog Harness
As it’s a piece of safety equipment, there are features you need to consider when choosing a LED harness:
LED brightness: You want your dog to be seen clearly so check how many LEDs there are on the harness and how bright they are – the best models enable your dog to be seen from half a mile away or more. Also, consider the positioning of the LEDs. For all-round visibility, the lights should ideally be placed on the front, back, and sides of the harness.
Adjustability: Ensure you pick a harness that’s adjustable, so it stays comfortably in place. Look for straps and buckles which you can loosen or tighten for the optimum fit without compromising the positioning of the LEDs.
Materials: Exercise time is meant to be fun and your dog needs to feel comfortable at whatever pace he is going at. Look for breathable materials that are padded to prevent irritation. Durable, tightly woven nylon is one of the best materials for a dog harness.
Durability: Your new glow-in-the-dark dog harness also needs to be a match for your own dog’s walking habits, as well as their size and breed. So, if your dog is more powerful or is known to be a puller when out exercising, make sure you choose a harness that is durable enough to stand up to the rigors of daily walks. And look for chew-proof materials if this is an issue with your pet.
Battery life: Those bright LED lights will need power so check out the battery set up for the harness before you buy. Top considerations are the length of power on a single charge if it’s using a rechargeable battery pack, while some models opt to use replaceable standard batteries.
Additional safety features: A good choice is a LED harness that features reflective strips to add another boost to the visibility of your dog. Many harnesses also have flashing LEDs, which you can adjust and change. And look for a quality stainless-steel D-ring leash attachment, so your dog stays secure.
Light up dog harnesses use multiple LED lights so your dog can be clearly seen when light is limited, for example, dusk, after dark, or early mornings. They are also able to illuminate your pet in low visibility weather conditions. With the lights typically positioned across the back, shoulders, neck, and chest, these jacket-style harnesses illuminate up to three times more of your dog than a LED collar.
A correct fit is essential for the safe use of a LED harness as it needs to stay comfortably yet securely in place. To get the right fit, it is a good idea to measure your pet as most harnesses are sized based on girth measurement. To get your dog’s girth measurement, use a soft cloth measuring tape to measure the circumference of his body, just behind the front legs.
While LED dog harnesses should have some level of water resistance, not all are completely waterproof so do read the label for more information as water can damage the battery connectors if not sufficiently protected. Wherever possible opt for a water-resistant harness to give you peace of mind should you be walking your dog in wet weather or they decide to jump into some water?
LED harnesses for dogs are designed not to get hot. While the LED lights will give off some heat, it will not be to a temperature that will feel hot or even warm to your dog. And, as long as the battery pack is hidden and insulated away from your dog’s skin, there is no risk of any harm to your dog.
For minor grime, spot cleaning lighted dog harnesses should work well, but there could be occasions where you will need to do a more thorough machine washable clean. Check before buying whether your LED harness for dogs is hand or machine-washable, and if so, ensure you remove the batteries or battery pack first and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
An LED dog collar around your dog’s neck guarantees that your dog will be easily seen in low light conditions, as opposed to reflective strips. Different light colors will provide different levels of visibility with red being the most subtle light choice and blue or white being the most clearly visible (though they can be garish if they are in a particularly dark area).
Yes. They don’t get hot or cause any damage to your dog when worn. LED collars are also protected with waterproof seals and are mostly rechargeable. LED lights are actually the safest option if you want to make sure your dog is seen at all times. They particularly come in handy if your dog managed to get away from you whilst you’re out on a walk as the bright light will prevent them from getting hit, should they walk into a road.
Generally speaking, no. If the lights get into your dog’s line of sight too much then there is a chance that the light could dazzle them, making it difficult for them to see. You can recognize if this is happening by watching your canine companion for signs of disorientation or clumsiness. If this does become a problem it may be worth looking for a lighted harness with the light more focussed on the back and not wrapped around the dog as much.