It is in dog’s nature to be curious. The level of curiosity doesn’t depend on the size, they are all equally curious in exploring the environment. That means there is a good chance that they will discover garbage bins at some point. And once they do, they will knock them over and start digging. While this means you will have to deal with a huge mess, it can also be dangerous for your pooch.
A messy home and unhealthy pet are two issues you will want to avoid, which is why you need the best dog proof trash can out there. You are in luck because we did the footwork and singled out the top 10 dog proof garbage bins currently available on the market.
Dog Proof Trash Can Buying Guide
Things to Consider When Buying a Dog Proof Trash Can
There are so many dog proof garbage bins available that it is hard to make the right choice. Let’s take a look at some factors you should keep in mind when choosing the one that suits your needs.
Choose the Right Material
You need something that your pet won’t destroy easily. In other words, you want a trash can made of a material that your dog can’t easily destroy by biting or scratching it. That means you should stay away from plastic. Instead, look for a firm material, such as stainless steel. No matter how hard he is trying, your pet will not have any success in trying to bite through the bin with his teeth. On top of that, stainless steel is heavier than plastic, which means you will get added stability and a trash can that won’t get knocked over easily.
Why Size of a Dog Proof Trash Can Matters
This goes hand in hand with the material when it comes to stability. The general rule is the bigger the garbage bin the more stable it is. You should also never ignore the convenience of using large trash cans. They can serve entire families without making you take out the trash all the time.
Other Features to Look For in a Dog Proof Trash Can
Let’s take a quick look at some other features that you should consider:
- A tightened and heavy lid – if you have a pet, trash can with a lid is a must. However, you also want the lid to be solid so that it provides added stability. Aside from that, look for garbage bins that have a locking lid that stays in place regardless of the position of the can. If the pet knocks over the bin that way the lid will remain closed which will prevent them to access the trash
- Rubber bottom – these can grip the floor better, which will help to keep the garbage bin in place
- Motion sensors – this is a convenient feature for you to have since it will keep your hands clean since you won’t have to manually open the bin
Benefits of Using a Dog Proof Trash Can
Let’s take a look at some reasons why you need to consider getting a dog proof garbage can as soon as possible:
- No health hazard to your pet – there is a reason why it is called TRASH can. A lot of things you can find in there can be harmful to your dog. For example, food remains, such as bones, may get stuck in your pooch’s throat. Rotten food can make Fido sick, while other toxic items, such as dead batteries, can be very dangerous
- Keep your home clean – we love our pets, but the fact is that they like making a mess sometimes, particularly if they smell something in the garbage bin. They would go for the trash can trying to knock it over, but dog-proofed cans can endure all attacks and remain standing, which will keep your home clean
- Food aggression – if you notice your pooch chewing something he found in the trash bin, you would want to take it out of his mouth. However, if you do that regularly, you might develop food aggression in your dog. They would think they need to compete for food, which may lead to them biting someone who tries that next time
Tips for Keeping Your Dog Out of the Garbage
If you want to ensure that your dog won’t get anywhere near the trash can, here are some tips that you can apply:
- Restrict the access to rooms with trash cans – if you keep the garbage bin in the kitchen, make sure you train Fido to stay away from that room altogether. Until you train him, you can restrict his access by closing the kitchen door each time you enter or leave the room
- The magic of closed cabinets – if you don’t want to restrict your pet from accessing the entire area of your house, an excellent alternative is to put the trash bin behind a closed cabinet. Just in case, you might want to apply child-proof locks to the cabinets with garbage cans
- Keep him from thinking about it – perhaps your dog is obsessed with digging through the garbage because he is bored. In that case, try to provide him with something else to do. You can always play with your pooch, but if you are busy at the moment, a chewing toy can be helpful
Some Places to Keep the Dog Proof Trash Can
The crucial thing to keep in mind is to make access to the bin as tricky as possible for your pooch. Some of the suggestions for placing the can include:
- Under the counter – or anywhere behind a door, such as in a closet
- In the garage – or any other room that your pet can’t access
Dog Proof Trash Can FAQ
Q: How Do I Know If I Need to Dog-Proof My Trash Cans?
A: This one is easy – if you have a dog, there is a good chance you need to dog-proof your trash bins. If you notice your pet lurking around the trash bin, trying to knock it over, or going through the trash, you need to stop those things from happening as soon as possible and the best way to do that is to dog-proof the garbage bins.
Q: How Can I Dog-Proof My Current Trash Cans?
A: Here are a couple of tips you may use:
- Put some weight on the lid – be careful with this because you need to find something that will keep the bin closed, but won’t be harmful to your Fido if he manages to knock it over
- Fix it to the wall – this will prevent your dog from knocking over the bin regardless of his size
- Empty the trash often – this may be helpful because there is no smell that would attract your pet to the bin, but it will require some effort on your side
- Change the location – find a place that your pooch can’t reach and move the trash bin there
Q: How Do I Teach My Dog to Not Eat Trash Out of a Trash Bag?
A: Getting a dog proof bin is a good idea, but your goal should be to teach your dog to stay out of trash altogether. Until you teach him to listen to the “off” command, you should ensure that your dog is full and occupied. Aside from feeding him regularly, make sure that he is active by taking him on walks and providing him with things to do. For example, a chewing toy might stop him from being bored and thinking of going through the trash.
Q: How Can I Train My Dog to Not Chew Trash Can?
A: The trick is in making it undesirable, which is why dog anti-chew spray might be a reliable method. The trick is to teach your dog to relate the unpleasant spray with the garbage bin. Therefore, whenever he gets near the can, he will instinctively turn around.
Our Top Pick for the Best Dog Proof Trash Can
At the end of the day, it is obvious why Stainless Steel Dual Compartment Trash Can by simplehuman is our favorite. First of all, it is incredibly durable and presents a genuine long-term investment, making it worth every cent you pay. The stainless steel material and the heaviness make it impossible for your pet to knock it down. On top of that, it is a pleasure to use this dog proof trash can. It has separate compartments for garbage and recyclables and a silent close lid that won’t make any noise. Add to that the hefty capacity of the can and you get yourself a true all-in-one package in just a single product!