Whether your feline is an outdoor cat or a laid-back indoor kitty, there’s a way you and your pet can spend quality time together. While a cat leash is one way to share a walk with your kit, it’s not for every cat, so for safety and enjoyment, a specially designed pet stroller for cats is the way to go. But how do you choose from the best cat strollers and what features should you look out for?
A pet stroller is similar in design to a small child’s pushchair but built for your cat’s size as well as comfort and security. You simply pop your cat inside the stroller, secure them via a leash, harness, or zip cover, and you are both ready for a walk in the fresh air. Cat strollers are also a good way of getting your cat to those important vet appointments, especially if you don’t have a car to get you from A to B. So, with pet safety and comfort in mind, and having spent hours researching the best products, we walk you through our pick of the best kitty strollers on the market.
A Quick Overview of 10 Best Cat Strollers
|Editor's Picks||Product Name||Price||Rating|
|Best Overall||Pet Gear NO-Zip Happy Trails Lite Pet Stroller||Buy on Amazon||4.6|
|Best all Terrain||Petique All Terrain Jogger-Blazin' Berry Pet Stroller||Buy on Amazon||4.7|
|Best for Senior Cats||Paws & Pals Cat Stroller||Buy on Amazon||4.5|
|Best Lightweight||Pet Gear Ultra Lite Travel Stroller for Cats||Buy on Amazon||4.5|
|Best Double Cat Stroller||Paws & Pals Double Dog Stroller||Buy on Amazon||4.2|
|Best for Traveling||PetLuv Happy Cat Premium Cat Carrier||Buy on Amazon||4.8|
|Best Design||BestPet Cat Stroller||Buy on Amazon||4.5|
|Best Foldable||WONDERFOLD P1 Folding Pet Stroller||Buy on Amazon||4.6|
|Most Versatile||Pet Gear 3-in-1 Travel Stroller||Buy on Amazon||4.6|
|Best Heavy Duty||HPZ Pet Rover Premium Heavy Duty Dog Stroller||Buy on Amazon||4.7|
- Sturdy cat carrier for pets up to 60 pounds
- Air-filled tires and pump provided
- Plenty of windows
- Two position handle with foam grip
Featuring large bike tires for traction and shock absorption, the Petique All Terrain Jogger-Blazin’ Berry Pet Stroller is one of the best cat strollers for cat lovers who like to take their pet off-road as well as around city streets. These cat carriers look after your comfort too. The handle can be adjusted to two positions to suit your stature and has a soft EVA foam grip.
There are plenty of windows for pet owners to see in and for their cats to see out! Whilst there are two pockets, they are only large enough for a cell phone and there is no extra storage. Also, you have to pop the wheels off to transport it so it can take a bit longer to get it in and out of the car and it is heavier than some other cat stroller models. The fabric is easy to wash but if you want a rain cover you will have to buy it separately.
- Foldable cat stroller for easy transportation
- Front wheels swivel for steering
- Safety breaks on rear wheels
- Top window for cat owner to see their pet
The easy-fold mechanism of the Pet Gear NO-Zip Happy Trails Lite Pet Stroller makes it one of the best pet strollers for cat owners who need to put the cat stroller in a car as it folds completely flat. It has a larger storage basket than many stroller models. The removable waterproof liner makes cleaning up those ‘little accidents’ a lot more pleasant.
There are a number of safety features for your peace of mind on the Pet Gear stroller including an interior tether to keep your pet secure and rear safety breaks. For keeping an eye on your cat, there is a top view window as well as a panoramic view window so your feline friend can see out! The tires are not inflatable so it may not be the best option for rough ground.
- Three strong wheels (double wheel at front)
- Two zippered entry points for convenience
- Collapses with the push of a button
- Mesh windows for ventilation and 360 degree visibility
The Paws & Pals 3 Wheeler Elite Jogger Pet Stroller is a three wheel pet stroller with a handy footboard step at the front. This makes it the best cat stroller for you if your cat has mobility issues or if you find it hard to lift them in. There are two zippered entry points at the back and front so that you can choose the one that suits you best.
It comes in a range of colors and the mesh windows provide plenty of ventilation and visibility. The cat stroller folds up compactly with just a press of a button making a great choice for traveling. This cat stroller features a spacious storage basket and parking brakes on the front wheels.
- Large mesh windows for ventilation
- No-Zip technology for secure, easy access
- Lightweight and easy to fold frame
- Six-inch large wheels, with rear brakes
For the price, here’s a cat stroller that’s versatile enough for trips around and out of town. Thanks to the large six-inch wheels, the stroller is smooth, giving what the manufacturer describes as an ‘air ride’. And the lightweight frame is easily foldable with a generous handle height. So, what does your cat get for the money? Well, a decent amount of space in the carrier, with a large mesh window for plenty of viewing and ventilation. Pet Gear also use a No-Zip approach, creating a quick lock/release latch to cut back on any unnecessary fumbling. With back wheel lock brakes for stability, this is a great value pet stroller that gives both your kit and their human confidence and comfort.
- Double stroller for two cats or dogs
- Will take two pets of up to 50 pounds
- Made from strong polyester
- Swivel wheels make it easy to move
There are multiple entry points into this double stroller giving you and your pet plenty of options. The Paws & Pals Double Dog Stroller is strong and robust and will hold pets up to 50 pounds in weight in each pet carrier.
Each of the canopies are made from sturdy polyester fabric on this double cat stroller and can be moved up and down. The mesh screens allow your pet to see out and provide plenty of ventilation but protect from bugs. It is a more expensive stroller but its large size and additional features make it worth it. It has strong tires, plenty of storage and the wheels rotate around 360 degrees for maneuverability and have shock-absorbers.
- Range of safety features – including locking zippers and wheels
- Large roomy area inside
- Plush cushion base for comfort
- Detachable carrier – for versatility
A complete travel system for cats, the PetLuv “Happy Cat Premium Cat Carrier” has everything cat lovers need for when you are away from home with your pet. Most strollers are simply pet carriers but with this system you get a lot more.
There is around four times the space that most cat strollers provide and there is a plush, soft base for comfort that can be removed. Around three sides there are panels made from heavy duty mesh to give your cat plenty of visibility and ventilation. There are seatbelt loops and locking zippers for security. These strollers fold flat when not in use and weigh just 9 pounds. The detachable carrier can be lifted off the base.
- Three-wheeler with a sturdy, foldable frame
- Made from waterproof Oxford cloth
- 360° rotating double front wheels
- Extra storage for a water bottle, treats, etc
Easy to use and maneuver, this stylish cat stroller is a fab way to spend outdoor time with your favorite feline. While not the lightest in our review, this jogger from BestPet ticks a lot of boxes. It’s sturdy and durable, made with a collapsible aluminum frame, and a waterproof fabric exterior to stand up to a change in the weather. Inside, the carrier is a decent size, with a super-soft mattress as well as two zipped mesh windows to keep your kit cool and able to see where they are going. The front double wheel can be rotated 360° and the storage tray and cup holder are nice little extras. It may not feel as strong as other strollers, but it’s stable and a good choice for trips to the vets or a venture into the park.
- Holds pets up to 50 pounds
- Reversible handlebar
- No zippers to fiddle with
- Cup holder on the comfortable handle
Made from strong but lightweight steel tubing and tear-resistant Oxford nylon, the WONDERFOLD P1 Folding Pet Stroller can accommodate pets up to 50 pounds in weight. This makes it a good cat stroller for larger kitties or even dogs. The handlebar is reversible and the openings have no zippers.
You can fold it down with one hand into a compact size. The large wheels have thickened tires and the anti-vibration system ensures a stress-free ride even if your cat is nervous. There is plenty of storage both at the back and underneath. The rear brakes and built-in leash are provided for safety. A useful feature is that the handle can be reversed so that you can look at your cat as you walk if you wish.
- 3-in-1 travel system for walking or in vehicles
- Push-button easy entry
- Interior tether for a harness
- Lightweight and easy to carry
Everything you need for traveling with your cat! In the Pet Gear 3-in-1 Travel System you get a cat stroller, a Click N Go Carrier and a Click N Go Booster Seat Attachment. This would be the best cat stroller for you if you transport your cat often in your car. The entry is push-button rather than through a zipper so it is easy to get your cat in and out quickly.
The interior tether can be attached to a harness for safety and there is a comfort pad that can be removed and washed. The whole system is very lightweight and easy to carry around. The padded carry handle makes sure that you are as comfortable as your pet!
- Front wheels rotate around 360 degrees
- Reversible handle bar
- Rear and front brakes for safety
- Folds flat when not in use
The HPZ Pet Rover Premium Heavy Duty Dog/Cat/Pet Stroller is one of the most versatile pet strollers out there because it allows you to organize the internal space. It is suitable for one cat or two cats and could even accommodate two small dogs. Comfort within these cat strollers is maintained by the suspension system and large wheels. Even though it is a large cat stroller, the front wheels rotate around 360 degrees so it is surprisingly easy to move around.
The frame is constructed out of stainless steel and aluminum alloys so it is strong but lightweight. The frame is covered in Oxford 1600D polyester which is both stain-resistant and machine washable. The large mesh window allows ventilation and visibility. Plenty of storage is provided under the cat stroller and the handle bar is reversible.
- Foldable canopy and ‘smart-reach’ handle
- 360° convertible front wheel
- Large under storage basket
- For pets up to 25 pounds
Gen7 have come up with a premium pet stroller with the Regal Plus that has the style of a small child’s stroller. Made from durable canvas with a large front window and additional mesh panels, this rather posh pet stroller has a slick construction that oozes quality. The three-wheeler is also comfortable and gives you some pace when you need it, thanks to the front 360° double wheels. Zipped for security, the canopy can also fold back for when your cat likes to feel the wind in their fur. With a large under tray for all your essentials and a quick fold design when you need to pack everything away, the Gen7 is a durable, quality pet stroller to give you and your kitty plenty of enjoyable hours outdoors.
- Waterproof Oxford cloth and mesh
- Lightweight, collapsible frame
- Large front mesh window
- Holds pets up to 30 pounds
If your pet needs to be reassured with plenty of space, the BestPet’s Waterproof Stroller is might be a good choice. With a flat carrier design, you get a large area for your kitty to lie down, with an added top dome for when he needs to be more animated. The whole front sections are made from mesh, ensuring plenty of fresh air and light are available to your cat. The mesh and Oxford cloth body of the carrier are also waterproof, so a good all-year-round pet stroller for everyday use. Add in 360° wheels at the front for easy gliding and we think this is an excellent way to take your cat or multiple cats on your travels and even camping trips.
- Durable wheels – gel-filled
- 600 dernier strong material for easy cleaning
- Able to hold pets securely
- Easy fold mechanism
Available in four vibrant colors, the Pet Gear No-Zip Jogger Pet Stroller is perfect for active cat lovers who do not want to leave their feline friend at home. It is one of the best cat strollers for off-roading as the 12 inch wheels give plenty of shock absorption but will not go flat!
The no-zip technology means that it is super fast to get your pet in and out of these cat strollers. Meanwhile, your cat has safety and comfort with panoramic views of what is going on! All these features add up to a robust cat stroller that has plenty of storage room and an ergonomic handle.
- 5-in-1 travel system
- One hand fold mechanism
- Large openings for pets to enter and exit
- Sturdy mesh windows for visibility
One of the most sophisticated travel systems on the market, the ibiyaya 5-in-1 Pet Carrier is the best cat stroller combo for pet parents who do a lot of traveling with their furry friends. The integrated system includes a stroller, a wheeled carrier, a car seat, a shoulder carrier and a back pack.
Built-in features make your life easier including one hand fold mechanism, easy maneuvering, and large openings. For your pet’s comfort and safety, there are sturdy mesh windows, a roll flap for privacy and a tether with a snap hook.
- Double stroller for two cats
- Can take cats up to 17 pounds in weight
- Strong and waterproof material
- Shock absorbers for a smooth ride
The VIAGDO Double Pet Stroller is the final of our collection of cat strollers that doubles up as a travel carrier and booster seat. It is made from water-resistant and strong Oxford cloth and each of the compartments can accommodate a pet up to 17 pounds in weight.
Each compartment has front and back entry and contains a removable pad for comfort. Suitable for city walking or for use over rough terrain, the wheels rotate around 360 degrees and have a shock absorbing function for a smooth ride. There are locking brakes for safety and it collapses with just a press of a button.
Best Cat Stroller Buying Guide & FAQs
Why You Should Buy a Cat Stroller
With their free-spirit nature, not all cats work well with a leash. And, if your kitty is a die-hard indoor cat, going outside can be a stressful experience. But there are times when you may want to – or even have to – take your cat out and a stroller specifically designed for pets is a good way to do it. Here are the top reasons why you may need a pet stroller:
- You want to take your cat on a walk: Getting outside will do you the world of good, and with a cat stroller, you can experience it with your pet. The stroller creates a safe space for your kit to relax, while the harness or covers will prevent them from trying to escape.
- Essential transportation: If you don’t have a car or find cat box carriers too cumbersome, then a pet stroller is the way if you need to get your kit from A to B. A cat stroller can be a stress-free way to get your feline to the vet or to other essential appointments or visits.
- A safe carrier for an older cat: There’s a time in your cat’s life when they can’t get out and about as independently as they used to, or their health means they can’t move too far. Or you may have a sick or disabled younger cat that needs help with their mobility. A pet stroller is the perfect solution as you can meet their needs for comfort and security while giving them the chance to get about and enjoy some fresh air.
Things to Consider When Buying a Stroller for Your Cat
You want your new cat stroller to be one of your kitty’s favorite places, so check out the following before you buy:
- Ease of use: Your new cat stroller should be easy to push and maneuver across a range of different terrains, from flat pavements to rougher ground, and should also be easy to turn around. Four-wheel strollers are great for every day around town use, while three-wheelers are faster and can do tighter turns. For rougher terrains, larger wheels with shock absorbers are recommended.
- Comfort: Essential in any pet stroller, not only for your cat but also for you as you push. Make sure your cat has plenty of room inside so they can sit, stand, lie down and stretch comfortably; cushioning and padding is ideal. And make sure the cat carry compartment has plenty of ventilation to keep them cool. The whole stroller should also be comfortable to push, so check the handle is adjustable and is the right height for you.
- Safety: With your cat on the move, their safety is paramount when it comes to choosing a stroller. The frame must be solid and stable, and the carrier have enough padding to protect them from knocks and spills. Your cat will also need to be secured inside the stroller to prevent an escape, so look for harnesses, safety attachments or zipped covers to keep them safely in place. Ideally, they should be built to baby stroller standards.
- Durability: Designed to carry a cat safely, your stroller should be durable and built to last. A metal frame is best, and ideally solid tires rather than air-filled. The material of the carrier should be also tough and waterproof, so opt for technical fabrics, mesh or oxford cloth.
- Portability: While you want your new cat stroller to be sturdy, you don’t want it to weigh you down, so a lightweight build is the better option. You also need to consider how you plan to transport and store your new cat buggy so it needs to be foldable so you can place it into the trunk of your car or store it at home.
- Easy to clean: Check that all the inner components such as cushions or pads can be easily removed and washed and that the outer fabric of the stroller can be wiped clean.
- Extra features: A few essentials are worth looking out for. These include a removable carrier or a stroller that can be converted into a car seat or backpack. Add in accessories such as cup holders, a storage tray, rain covers or removable mesh window and you have everything you need to keep you and your cat happy and ready for a fun ride. If the fabric is not waterproof, you will need to purchase an extra waterproof rain hood.
Different Types of Cat Strollers
Cat strollers come in many different shapes and sizes. Here are the main types for you to look out for.
Basic Pet Strollers
The basic cat stroller is essentially a cat basket that sits on a frame. They usually have four wheels and are used for pushing a cat around a neighborhood or to the vet. They may have a range of additional features depending on the price such as cup holders, a hooded peak top window, tethers and brakes. The wheels are usually made of strong plastic and a weight limit will be given for the stroller.
Off-road Cat Strollers
Often these will be a three wheel pet stroller and are designed for rougher terrain. They are perfect if you want to go hiking with your cat or even a small dog. The wheels are usually air-filled or gel-filled and there may be a shock-absorbing system to make the ride smoother. Again, you may find additional features such as cup holders and cushions inside for maximum comfort.
Double Cat Strollers
Why should owners of two cats miss out on all the fun when they can use a double cat stroller? These are larger and usually have two compartments or a single compartment may be divided into two. Because they are larger and heavier, they need some features to make them easier to move around. The wheels will swivel around 360 degrees and the handle will probably have an ergonomic design.
These are the most sophisticated strollers and are also the most expensive. However, you do get a lot for your money. Some have three elements and others have five. They allow you to move your cat with ease from a stroller to a car or even into a back pack. They give superb versatility but are only worth the money if you are actually going to use all of the elements.
How to Introduce Your Kitty to a Cat Stroller
Cats are naturally wary of new objects and that includes new cat strollers. If you don’t bother preparing your cat and simply push them into pet strollers before dashing out to the vet, you are going to cause a lot of distress to your cat and make life difficult for yourself. Take time to build up positive associations with the cat strollers – preferably ones that have nothing to do with the vet! Here are some top tips on how to introduce cats to cat strollers.
- Leave the carrier open in your house for a few days and let your cat explore it in their own time.
- Make the carrier a cat-friendly zone. Place some of their favorite cat treats in it. Put an item of clothing that smells of you inside it.
- Once your cat is happily going in and out of the stroller, try feeding them in there.
- Now try securing your cat inside for a short period of time with some treats. Start with just five minutes and then lengthen the time they stay inside.
- Don’t try moving the stroller too quickly. Keep it stationary and close to you.
- Gradually start pushing the stroller around your house and then build up the length of the journey gradually.
- Keep doing this from time to time so that your cat stays familiar with the experience and comes to see cat strollers as fun places to be!
1.Lynn Buzhardt, DVM, Preparing Your Cat for a Trip to the Veterinarian, VCA Hospitals
Frequently Asked Questions
With the right introduction, most cats will learn to feel safe and comfortable in a stroller, and many will actually enjoy the ride. And the raised height of the stroller is a much more secure place for them to be, which all adds to their feelings of safety. However, never force a cat to sit in or go for a ride in a stroller as this will only heighten any feelings of fear and they will learn to associate the stroller with these unpleasant feelings. If, after spending time introducing your cat to their new stroller they are still vocally or physically resistant to getting inside, you may need to accept that this is not your cat’s thing.
Your cat stroller should come with security, such as a zipper, harness or other fasteners, to keep your cat safe inside their stroller and prevent them from escaping. However, to get your cat comfortable enough to want to be put inside the stroller, you also need to give them the time to get used to their new feline chariot. This means building up the time they spend inside the stroller to investigate before you venture out on your first stroll outside. This way your cat can get used to the smaller space and associate it with feeling safe and not fearful.
As long as there’s sufficient room inside a stroller, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t carry two cats, as long as they can comfortably sit, stand and lie down next to each other. However, some strollers for cats are only designed for one cat so their size as well as design means it’s unsafe to carry any more.