back
to
top
Last updated: 06 May 2020

Acana Cat Food Review

Acana Real Meat Dry Cat Food

Acana Real Meat Dry Cat Food

Key features

Biologically appropriate cat food

Rich in proteins

Limited in carbs

Top six ingredients are meat, fish, and eggs

Acana Regionals Protein Rich Dry Cat Food

Acana Regionals Protein Rich Dry Cat Food

Key features

75% red meat and fish ingredients

25% vegetables, fruit, and botanicals

No grains, potato, or tapioca

Fresh and regional ingredients

Acana Regionals Protein Rich Grain-Free Dry Cat Food

Acana Regionals Protein Rich Grain-Free Dry Cat Food

Key features

Nutrient-dense food

75% quality fish ingredients

25% whole vegetables and fruit

Grain free formulation

Show contents
Angela Westfall
Published 13:13 pm

Acana is a leading brand of cat food, known for producing meals that are biologically appropriate. This means that one of the founding philosophies is that they mimic what your kitty would consume in the wild as closely as possible. The ingredients come from local sources in a fresh or raw capacity. Plus, fruits and vegetables are added to offer complete and balanced nutrition. If you are thinking of buying Acana cat food for your furry friend, we have compiled this guide of the best options in this Acana cat food review.

Acana Cat Food Review

1

Let’s start with an Acana Grasslands cat food review. Nutrient-rich and high in protein, the sources include lamb, trout, and quail. Designed with biological appropriateness in mind, it is both rich in protein and limited in carbohydrates. Based on whole prey philosophies, it features organs, bones, and cartilage too.

75% of the food comes from the meat, fish and egg ingredients. As for the other 25%, fruit and vegetables for added nutrients. As well as being free of grains, there is also none of the potato and gluten that is common in many cat foods.

Designed to be highly palatable

Fresh and local produce

Grain and gluten-free

Whole food principles

Specification:
  • Brand: ACANA
  • Model: CAC3120-12
  • Weight: 11.9 pounds

2

As you would expect from looking at the ACANA brand in more detail, the food is nutrient-rich and high in protein. The sources are as diverse as beef, pork, and lamb to bison and catfish. Regional farmer and fishers deliver the fresh ingredients.

Designed to mimic the evolutionary diet of your kitty as closely as possible, everything has been designed to be as biologically appropriate as possible including the bone, cartilage, and internal organs that cats would have eaten in the wild.

Highly palatable

Biologically appropriate

Animal ingredients from five main sources

Free of starches

Specification:
  • Brand: ACANA
  • Model: CAC3130-12
  • Weight: 11.9 pounds

3

The next one on our list is a fish-based recipe that includes herring, redfish, mackerel, hake, and flounder. In fact, 75% of the all the ingredients come from the wild caught fish. The remaining 25% is made up of vegetables, fruit, and botanicals.

What is also important to mention is the 0% figure in the food, which means that there are no grains or potatoes, which are present in some cat foods. The fresh and regional ingredients all come from trusted suppliers.

Top six ingredients are wild-caught fish

No potato or tapioca

Uses meat, organs, cartilage, and bone

Ingredients delivered fresh or raw

Specification:
  • Brand: ACANA
  • Model: CAC3100-12
  • Weight: 11.9 pounds

4

The final choice on our list contains protein from a wide range of sources including poultry, fish, and eggs. As well as being grain-free, the food also contains no gluten either. It has been designed to offer a high level of palatability to cats, while still being biologically appropriate.

As you will have come to expect from Acana, a high quantity of the ingredients come from fish and poultry sources – in this case, 75%. The remaining 25% comes from fruit, vegetables, and botanicals.

High in protein from range of sources

Includes rich animal-based ingredients

Grain and gluten-free

Biologically appropriate diet

Specification:
  • Brand: ACANA
  • Model: CAC3110-12
  • Weight: 11.9 pounds

Acana Cat Food Buying Guide

We now enter the buying guide section where we discuss the Acana brand in greater detail including company information, reasons to choose the brand, an ingredient analysis, and some of the main pros and cons of it.

Company Information

Acana Pet Food was founded back in 1975. Today, its foods are available for purchase in 60 countries around the world. The headquarters are based in Alberta, Canada. It can be classed as a premium pet food brand that can only be purchased from selected stores and online. Its parent company is Champion Pet Foods, which also owns Orijen, one of the world’s most expensive cat foods. Acana is more accessible in its price point. Well-known for its wholesome food credentials, the brand has become highly trustworthy amongst previous customers. It ranks highly for its safety standards as everything is made with strict quality controls. Other things that the brand is renowned for include a high meat content, grain-free formulation, and ingredients that are locally sourced. These regional commitments are taken seriously and as much as possible comes from local farmers to help boost the economy in the area. This also prevents the need for any freezing of the food.

Young cat eating food from a plate

Why Choose this Brand?

There are plenty of reasons why you would choose this brand over others. One of the most obvious is its commitment to using fresh ingredients that are locally sourced. This is quite unlike other pet food companies which store the ingredients - often for a long period of time. Once they are harvested, they are then sent to the Acana lab. Many of the ingredients are organic and unprocessed, which is in contrast to some lesser pet food brands, where processed food quantities are too high

The meat content always comes from various different sources and is processed on the same day that it is received. Vitamins and minerals that your cat needs are later added. There are plenty of different variations of flavor and nutrient content depending on your kitty’s preferences and needs. There are few additives, no gluten, and no grains. Plus, it is easily digestible.

  • Ingredient Analysis

Now, let’s look closer at some of the main ingredients that make up these food types. This way, you can make up your mind about what is going into your cat’s body and make a more informed decision about their health.

  • Biologically Appropriate 

Biologically appropriate is a phrase that you see time and time again referring to Acana pet food, which means that they operate with the idea that cats should eat similar food to what they are consuming in the wild. This means that meat protein content is high - around 70 or 75% and there is no grain present in the food.

  • High Protein Content

As we mentioned earlier, the protein content of Acana cat food is always high, and it comes from mixed sources including fish, lamb, and game birds. This varying of protein sources helps to prevent your cat from getting hooked on a single one. And these multiple sources also make it less likely that your kitty will develop an allergy to one of them.

  • Fresh Regional Ingredients

The brand has a strong ethos of selecting and using fresh regional ingredients. This means fish that have been wild-caught, ranch-raised meat and game, and free-range poultry. Everything is delivered to the kitchen fresh or raw. Muscle meat, organs, and cartilage are included in the recipe as these are what your cat would have consumed in the wild.

  • Fruit and Vegetables

The remaining quarter of the food that does not consist of meat is made up of farm-fresh fruits and vegetables. These provide the main nutrients that your kitty requires for healthy functioning.

  • Grain-Free Formulation

The Acana brand is a grain-free product line, which is also based on the philosophy that cats would not eat these in the wild. This is important for cats suffering from allergies and can also be helpful in promoting good digestion.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Packed with High-Quality Protein: Cats require a lot of protein in their diet as they are carnivorous creatures who would have historically got it from the animals that they hunted. These days, our kitties are firmly domesticated, but they still have this digestive system and basic functioning that needs meat and the protein derived from it. Acana has recognized this and has developed food formulas that aim to mimic what your cat would have eaten in the wild as closely as possible. 70 or 75% of the food comes from various protein sources. And with the ‘whole prey’ philosophy, all of the protein sources need to be highly digestible by cats.
  • Rich in Essential Vitamins and Minerals: While the basis of Acana food is formed on protein, the minerals and nutrients that your cat requires often come from various other sources including fruit, vegetables, and botanicals. In its cat food, it is the final 25% that consists of food from these sources.
  • Regionally Sourced Ingredients: Unlike many cat foods which base their food on frozen ingredients from around the world, this is not the case for the Acana brand, which focuses on fresh or raw food from local vendors. So, when you purchase this brand of cat food, you know that it is supporting farmers in the area.
  • Free or Preservatives and Additives: As you would expect from a brand which champions its whole food credentials, there are no preservatives or additives, which obviously would not have figured in your cat’s diet in the past. Unfortunately, these things feature heavily in many cat foods these days, which many experts believe have an adverse effect on felines.
  • Range of Flavors and Formulations: Rather than just sticking to one or two flavors and formulations, there is a variety available from Acana. You can choose based on your kitty’s individual nutritional needs or preferences.
  • No Grains or Gluten: If your cat has allergies to grain or gluten (something that seems to be increasingly common in modern felines) then this cat food has none of these ingredients to worry about.
Cons
  • High Price Point: The main negative that people find with this brand is that it is on the premium end of the scale, which can make it unaffordable for some. Also, the bag size quantities – 12 lbs is standard. This can end up pushing the cost up further and makes it less accessible for people who own cats with smaller appetites. However, for the quality of the brand and the benefits that it offers, many people believe that it is a price worth paying.
  • Only Dry Food Options: Acana cat food only comes in dry food options, so you have no choice to offer your kitty a wet food diet with this particular brand. While many cats exist happily on a dry food diet, one of the main issues is that they do not get as much moisture from it. Therefore, you need to make a special effort to put plenty of clean fresh water down to ensure that your cat drinks enough. Alternatively, you may wish to vary wet and dry food to give your cat the best of both worlds.
  • No Kitten Specific Formulas: While many brands have formulas that are designed for kittens too, this is not the case for Acana. So, if you are looking for biologically appropriate food for your young cat, you are going to have to look elsewhere.

Final Thoughts

There are plenty of positives to the Acana brand – particularly the way that it tries to mimic what your feline would have eaten in the wild with its high protein content. Vitamins and minerals come from other sources. This main downside is that the price point is high, so you have to weigh this up against the positive features to decide whether or not it is worth it.

Angela Westfall
Angela Westfall
Angela has fostered, adopted, screened and saved cats for over 15 years. She is known as one of Central Ohio’s most passionate and knowledgeable cat enthusiasts. Her rescue, Angels Assisting Felines has partnerships with PetSmart and PetSuppliesPlus to help more cats find great homes.
9 Lives Cat Food Review
I and Love and You Cat Food Review
Sheba Cat Food Review
Nature’s Variety Instinct Cat Food Review
Friskies Cat Food Review
Purina Cat Food Review